Do you think the media has gotten out of control these last few years? Spin off of the post about a guy falsely accused to be the bomber...and maybe a little venting as well... :)

The media has royally fucked up this latest story on the bombing in Boston. They have been making biased comments and false speculations about that whole incident. For example, they were speculating that 'right-wingers' were behind the blasts. Then the Salon put its hateful bigotry on display in an article entitled, incredibly, “Let’s hope the Boston Marathon bomber is a white American.” I mean really WTF?? They hope they are WHITE American bombers?? Then there was that Lawrence O’Donnell idiot blamed the NRA and said "The NRA’s effort to guarantee that America’s mass murderers are the best equipped mass murderers in the world is not limited to those who use automatic weapons and high capacity magazines. The NRA is also in the business of helping bombers get away with their crimes."" They supposedly lobbied to block a taggant “that would enable tracing of the purchase of gunpowder”. He just failed to say there was a independent scientific ruling years ago had recommended, for various reasons, against the use of **taggants.

Then there was others blaming guns cause surprise the 2 suspects had a gun and were not licensed Oh the humanity!! This would seem to be strong evidence that gun control laws do little if anything to hinder criminals and terrorists; but the left isn't the party of logic, so even though the terrorists used bombs to wreak their havoc, the left made it about guns. The Guardian had a story that read, "“Why does America lose its head over ‘terror’ but ignore its daily gun deaths?” Another editorial that said "“Terror in Boston: It’s About Guns, Not Bombs,” WTF?? What really got me is that there were a few that actually thought the 2 bombers were victims! They placed bombs that killed women and children because they couldn't fit in, because they "felt alienated from our racist, Islamophobic society. " Then Michael Moore got in on this and tweeted.."because the terrorists turned out to be American citizens, “the rest of the world is safe now,” Well its Michael Moore, enough said. Fucking idiot.

As far as I am concerned, the media is to blame for the death of that student. Its bad they cannot face any charges. There has been so many lives ruined by the media taking a tiny morsel of truth (well most times anyway) and taking off and speculating. Others just blatantly lie. I think the George Zimmerman case in Florida is a terrific example of the extreme lengths the media will go to get ratings. There are stories out there the media should report on and DON'T!! Like that abortion doctor who was performing illegal late term abortions and killed so many babies, and killed women as well. And god forbid the media say anything bad about Obama. You get the the smaller name media folks that others think they are like another version of the National Enquirer. So I guess if its not CNN, MSNBC, or ABC or NBC the story is false and made up.

Well if you did read this whole post, then you know just cause those bigger named media doesn't report on something, doesn't mean its not true. Hell the way CNN or MSNBC been lately, I rank THEM  up there with the National Enquirer.

What is your take on our media today?

If you want to know what a taggant is...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taggant

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 7:20 PM on Apr. 25, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Ithink it's a shame the way they start out with the truth and then spice it up as they see fit. The ones who circulated the story about the guy who didn't turn out to be the Boston bomber should be charged with *something.*
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:34 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• TV is a cut-throat, nasty, awful business. There was a time, I think, they cared to get the facts straight because of the need to be the most accurate in reporting. Now, no one cares and they all go after a story like wolves. Truth be told, as a story is unfolding, there are always mistakes and speculation. At this point, no one news agency is more reliable than another, IMO. You are talking about a giant business---massive, money driven business. They don't much care about what you think, they care about making money. That is their bottom line. Believe me, for those in the business who want to be ethical, it's incredibly frustrating and disappointing. But, in order to stay in it and make a living, you go with the flow. At least that is our experience.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:38 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• I think it has a lot to do with the people too. There's a reason the media does this and it's because it's what the viewers want and we eat it up. I wish there was something we could do, but as long as we keep tuning in they're going to keep doing it.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 7:42 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• I think the media has changed a lot in our age of technology and there are many sources (some reliable ones) that do as good a job or better than traditional media. They don't like getting scooped and from what I have seen for the last few big events is that they jump to conclusions and end up reporting things before they can be verified as being true, they have also spliced tapes to advance an agenda or a bias. Not to mention the Internet sleuthing that has gotten into some people.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:43 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• While I agree that the media is out of control, I'm not sure we can blame them for that Brown University student's death. He had been missing for weeks, and last I'd heard they hadn't yet released info on how long he'd been in the water. They only said he'd been in the water a long time. The family also stated he was taking leave from school and battling depression. With those facts, one might assume he had been dead long before the bombing.

Imo the technology that gives us 24/7 news is much to blame. Journalists are pressured to fill that time with "news". We are also largely to blame for tuning into that crap, and for also further spreading any misinformation we see on internet discussion boards such as this.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:17 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Great post. Back in 1983, 50 companies controlled the media. Now? 6 companies. I think they are bought and paid for, whores.

http://www.businessinsider.com/these-6-corporations-control-90-of-the-media-in-america-2012-6

JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 9:39 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• I avoid the media if at all possible. I didn't watch it the entire time this was unfolding. I didn't want to and I just couldn't. I'm glad.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:15 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• "TV is a cut-throat, nasty, awful business. There was a time, I think, they cared to get the facts straight because of the need to be the most accurate in reporting. Now, no one cares and they all go after a story like wolves."

There was a time when newsrooms were run by newspeople. Now, most are run by corporate beancounters who want the highest ratings.

The Gosnell case is getting covered. Do a google news search and you'll find coverage from ABC, CBS, Fox, Christian Science Monitor in the top few results.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:11 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

• gdiamante...Thats great! The last time I looked only a few of the small time media had it.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 12:52 AM on Apr. 26, 2013