What would you do?

there is a mom in the same apt complex as me. Her son is only 7. He hardly goes to school, he never does his homework. He has horrible grades. Lately he has had some bites or scab looking marks on him. The mom took her son to the dr who told her it was a rash. She got cream for it but it didnt go away. The school told her, her son is not allowed back to school until that is all cleared up. And that they will be calling dss on her for neglect. I was told this was the 3rd time she has been warned. My friend and i think the marks are from bed bugs. (the mom has the same marks)

What would you do to help her? Or would you just let the school call dss and let her deal with it?
My friend lives right next to her and if she has bed bugs they can move from apt to apt. Would it be wrong for her to tell the housing manager that the lady might have bed bugs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Apr. 25, 2013 in Health

• Let DSS take care of it. It sounds like the child is not being taken care of well, so he needs someone who can take care of him better. The mom isn't doing her job. The child's life could be saved in many ways by being put in a foster home. You don't know what else she does to that child. I had a friend who was schizophrenic and didn't take care of her baby that well. Thank god the baby is under court protection now because I seriously worried what she might do to the baby. In the end, it's about keeping that child safe.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 12:55 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

• Well, I'd definitely be calling the landlord if there was bed bugs in the same apt. complex as you. As to the mom, I'm betting the school will get the courts involved, b/c of the attendance issues. A lot of school districts are cracking down on truancy.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:48 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• She has been given 3 chances. Hopefully CPS will work with her.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 8:42 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Don't worry about her situation, if the school is involved, they're not going to drop it. You SHOULD call the apt manager, though, because if they spread, it is ultimately their job to fix it.

I don't know where you live, but around here, a few of the less reputable apartment complexes (mostly the ones for the elderly) have let them go untouched until they're in every apartment, and only try to fix it after there's a court order.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:49 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• I agree with the above posts, but if you know the woman at all, it might be kind of you to warn her that you think there are bedbugs in her home than to just call the manager. She may be offended, but I for one would rather hear it from a neighbor than from the landlord or CPS.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:55 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• When they 1st give you an apt they let you know about bed bugs and tell you once you even think you have them let them know and they will come spray...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:58 PM on Apr. 25, 2013