For those of you with older teens and toddlers

When your toddler is watching a tv show or playing a game and your older one is in the room do they incesantly whine and complain and correct the show? My dd is watching Diego and my ds is sitting there bitching about it! UGH! i just want to tell him to shut the H up! it wasn't meant for anyone over the age of 4 or 5! Goodness!

shareleann

Asked by shareleann at 8:40 PM on Apr. 25, 2013 in General Parenting

• LOL! It must be a sibling thing. My boys were 13 & 11 when I had my dau. I couldn't believe that a teen & toddler would ever have anything to fight about, but they managed to find them!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:45 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Actually, my teenage stepson is remarkably tolerant of kids' TV shows when his five-year-old sister is watching them. He makes fun of them endlessly when she's not around, though. The only one he can't seem to keep his disdain private for is Max and Ruby. He's always telling Ruby to shut up and calling her a bossy butt, so now my daughter does it, too.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:52 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• *I* would be bitching about Diego...or Dora so...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• It might be better to tell him to go and complain somewhere else. LOL
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:01 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Not often. My 11 yo dd and 13 yo ds are pretty tolerant of their 4 yo brother and 2 yo sister and their shows. Of course, they've had to learn a lot of patience and tolerance to deal with my 15 yo ds who has autism.

Answer by missanc at 9:27 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• When all of our children were younger, my three boys, who were 10 and 11 while our daughter was 4, used to be very snarky about this. How we solved it was to either turn the television off, or tell the boys to go into another room. Our daughter was never allowed to watch much television anyways.
    RShay735

Answer by RShay735 at 12:33 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

• My 13yo DD can't stomach most the 3yo DD's shows. My solution, I put on shows that the older DD watched when she was younger. Instead of snarky, she gets nostalgic and she enjoys "sharing" the show with her baby sis. lol. It's pretty funny.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 1:37 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

• My poor youngest has never watched the kiddie shows. The older 2 have always hogged the remote.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:03 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

• Hell I complain about some of the stuff on kids shows. Can't say I blame the kid. Tell him to go into another room if he doesn't like it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:37 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

• There were 8 years between my oldest and youngest. Whenever the oldest got bitchy that way towards the shows of the younger one, or about anything he wanted to do on trips (G rated movies, Chuck E Cheeses, etc), I just told him to suck it up. That I sat through 2 million showings of the antimated, Disney version of Robin Hood for him, and this was payback. LOL
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:26 PM on Apr. 26, 2013