Gave blood yesterday, still in pain, what happened?

While giving blood yesterday, the initial stick (which normally doesn't bother me at all) sent a huge shock of pain down my arm and through my wrist and hand. Now, any time I move my arm a certain way, pick something up, or straighten my arm completely out, the same shock of pain occurs again. Anyone know what in the world?

Kword

Asked by Kword at 9:02 PM on Apr. 25, 2013 in Health

• Please, please, PLEASE report them!! I hate needles, I cannot look when I have to have blood drawn, and I've had numerous bad experiences with it. So when I became a phlebotomist (I can stick other people, no problem; go figure!), I was incredibly cautious to make sure that I didn't do to others the things that had been done to me.

If he was in charge, then he was probably rushing because he had so much to do - unacceptable, in my book. If he couldn't handle both being in charge and drawing blood, then he shouldn't have done both. And the other guy - changing gloves between patients is rule #1, drilled into you from day 1 - I swear, it was like literally the first thing they said to us in the first class. And coughing only makes it worse.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:52 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• they hit a nerve... would see a dr
    Anonymous

• My guess is they hit a nerve. Normally it wears off in a few days if you don't use te area much. If it still hurts tomorrow I would talk to my doc.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:38 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• If you don't have a huge bruise, then yes, she hit a nerve (I'm a former phlebotomist). Keep an eye on it, and make sure the bruising doesn't get worse. If the pain doesn't go away within the next couple of days, or it gets worse, head for the doctor.

I'm tempted to tell you you should call the blood bank and let them know. Did she seem experienced to you? I hate being stuck with needles, and after having a few bad experiences myself with blood draws, I tend to not cut them any slack - especially having done it myself.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:55 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

• Do you have a bruise?

How've you been? I've been wondering where you were lately.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:13 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• You might be having a temporary nerve lesion at the site of needle insertion. You should take steroidal anti-inflammatory for a few days (3-5 days) and if pain continuous, I'll ask you to see your doctor to examine the site and see if there is no infection at the site of needle insertion.

This was said by an actual dr..
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 9:40 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Congrats on your graduation!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:46 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Thank you, everyone. :) and, I have been doing well. I've just been super busy finishing up my Associate Degree and screening into a Bachelor's teaching program. I graduate in a few weeks! So excited!
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 9:47 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• And have a faint bruise, nothing too bad.
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 9:49 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Thank you, Ballad! :)

Wendy, bruise not getting any worse. I called the doc, and he told me he wants me to come in on Monday. If he determines that it is a nerve, I will contact the blood bank. From the info I've researched after talking to all of you, I'm positive that's what it is. The info also stated that it is something that is totally avoidable and the person should be held accountable if that's what happened. Thank you for the first hand info. :)
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 10:13 PM on Apr. 27, 2013