Deportation? (Not sure where to put this)

My Husband has been a permanent resident here from the UK for the past 13 yrs. He's in the process of becoming a US citizen, but there's a bump in the road. Back in 2006 he got pulled over by a DOT officer, (we own a semi truck) he was given a ticket for operation under false duty, which in layman's terms means his bill of lading, didn't match his log book, so he got a ticket, and sent on his way. He paid the fine, ($1200.00) , and it's over with. BUT, his immigration lawyer said that the immigration board doesn't know what any of that means, and will just think it's a moral issue, because of the wording (false duty). It's really no different than you or I getting a speeding ticket, seat belt ticket etc, except that he was in a commercial vehicle, and that's all federal, and they have to log everything, and it has to be accurate. Which it was, but the officer didn't read it right, and gave him the ticket, and my Husband didn't want to fight it over 2000 miles away from home, so he just paid it. I've sent his Lawyer everything I could find on what the ticket meant, even the court in Maine sent me the copies they had on file from when the ticket was issued.....
His lawyer said there could be a risk of deportation. I'm so worried for him. He's been here 13 yrs, we own our home, we're married, live a decent life. He's been self employed since he moved over here 13 yrs ago, and doesn't want to move back to the UK.
If it came down to it, we would move there if he had to go back, but our life is here, and we'd like to keep it that way...... So now we wait and see what happens. His lawyer is filing everything Monday..... I pray it all goes well.

So have any of you dealt with the Immigration process? Any words of advice? Thanks...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Apr. 25, 2013 in Relationships

• I agree with the pps. I sincerely doubt he would be deported for a misdemeanor charge while seeking citizenship. He already has had permanent residence for 13 years. Worst case scenario he might be denied citizenship, and that is very unlikely, that doesn't mean he would lose his green card and be deported.

There are a lot of crappy immigration lawyers out there. I used one when I filed for DH and it took twice as long as when I filed this past year for SD without a lawyer at all. Use the hotline listed on the UCIS website to ask questions. Also, you can set up an infopass meeting and see someone in person to set your mind at ease. I did both when I filed for DD and it was really helpful. GL
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 1:10 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

• Just bring the documentation to immigration when he goes in for the interview and explain it to them. I'm guessing it was a misdemeanor if all he paid was a fine. That's nothing to worry about. They only care about felony charges or a history of charges. I've been through the immigration process. It's more important that he stays violation-free from now on and studies for his exam. You're married, so highly unlikely that he'll be deported. I'd use a different lawyer, too...This one seems to be making up stuff to charge you for.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 12:46 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

• I think your immigration lawyer is an idiot. He has court documentation. A moral offense is not something someone pays a FINE for! You go to JAIL... and your husband would have been deported in 2006 for said offense if it was a deportable offense.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:22 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Hell the oldest in that Boston bombing beat the holy hell out of his wife, and he wasn't a citizen at the time, and he wasn't deported. So I doubt your husband will, or at least not for that. But then its always easier to 'prosecute' the good guys then the bad guys..good luck OP..
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:05 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

• I am no expert but I thought that with your marriage, he cannot be deported...? Hope everything works out for you, but I don't see how a paid speeding ticket would get him deported.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:26 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• I wish you the best in getting it all worked out. May common sense prevail!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:30 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• If I could select you all for best answer I would. That was all so reassuring! I will talk to him about a new lawyer. Sad thing is he's been paid, and he's filing the papers on Monday, so I don't think we could use someone else at this point. I don't know for sure though, so it's worth looking into.
    My Husband won't say it, but I know he's worried. He's been grinding his teeth so bad lately, and not feeling well.. I can't wait for this all to be over with. Thanks again Ladies!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2013