Are there any decent places in the DC area to live on $34K a year?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on Apr. 25, 2013 in Money & Work

• NO
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:19 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Hahaha no. You could live in the PJ's, maybe.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 11:24 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Depends on where you have to work? Any particular city in mind? Most cheaper places are far away from work areas. Apartments cost at least $1000 for a 1 bedroom, houses average $300-400,000 range for a nice 3-4 bedroom, gas is about $3.80/gallon, traffic SUCKS along any major highway, average commute is 1 hour one-way. More rural places like Manassas, Centreville, Woodbridge are cheaper but all the good jobs are near the metro area. I hate this area and plan on moving when I get the chance. Weather is not bad but the winter sucks. Schools are good. People here are not that friendly in general either.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 11:33 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• Maryland is worse by the way. I tried living there for a year just to see if the reverse commute was any better and came back to VA area. Don't recommend living directly in DC at all unless you want to get mugged and deal with crap cops and tons of parking tickets.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 11:36 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• I know, I really don't want to live there. But I got a job offer for a good company working with people I know and love. But starting pay is only $34K and not sure how long it'd take my husband to find a job there. The company is located in Lanham-Seabrook, MD.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:41 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• I've been doing some peeking into Silver Spring, MD. From what I read it seems alright and rent doesn't seem too ridiculous. I figured we could comfortably do $1K/mo. rent for a 2br and found a few places that look ok around that area. Seems like all the commutable areas in VA are super expensive.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:48 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• What do you and your husband do? I can tell you what your chances are of finding work. Camp Springs, MD area and below that is not bad so I've heard cost-wise and living-wise. You could commute from Alexandria, VA there, too. I have some friends that commute from Alexandria to military bases in MD by just taking 95-North over the bridge and it's a relatively short commute. Alexandria is not bad & cheaper to live in the southern part of it. Arlington, VA area is super expensive. I've lived in many places so I have a good feel for this area.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 11:50 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

• You might try Southern Maryland, Southern Charles or St. Mary's County. It's quite a commute, but much cheaper
    snookyfritz

Answer by snookyfritz at 10:04 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

• Yes there is. If you don't drive you can still get around metro accessible...I pay only 1000 a month for a 2bedroom condo all utilities included. You can buy a house here for under 200k I saw a real estate friend of mines post a 4 bedroom house for 199k you can contact me and I can help you out if you need it.
    Twins_Mom04

Answer by Twins_Mom04 at 6:28 PM on Jun. 9, 2013