Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

Acute Medical Services Needed, but No Medical Insurance. How can I get my son seen to quickly by professional doctors?

Hello Community

Maybe someone knowledgeable will read this post and possibly give some much needed advice. My son was robbed and shot in the leg in March. He almost died, but some incredible doctors saved his life. He had vascular surgery to restore the blood flow as his artery was severed. The damaged veins and nerves he had were not able to be repaired at that time, but he went through 4 surgeries for other issues. As he lost 11 units of blood, the first surgical approach was to stop the bleeding and save his life by repairing the artery that was severed. The surgeon took a blood vessel grafting from his left leg and placed it in his right. The next surgeries was to put his femur and patella back together.

Since the surgeries my son still has no feeling in most of his right leg and he is having venial insufficiency as well. We have applied for victims assistance to cover some bills, but it is taking a very long time hearing back from them and we are well over the maximum amount they allow. My son's bill are 1/2 a million dollar hospital bill. This incident did not happen in our state so once we arrived back to Arkansas we applied for Medicaid. Adult Medicaid is very hard to receive in our state, so we are having it reviewed and it will take up to 2-3 months.

We need more surgery and follow ups with knowledgeable doctors.(vascular / neurological / pain management / PT / primary physician) Since March, we have paid $10,000 of our own money toward medical expense. I am running out of cash and I lost my job when this first happened. We have to prepay the doctors for treatment although we have pending Medicaid.

How can I get immediate attention to get my son seen to asap? Can anyone give us a bit of advice? 

Answer Question

Asked by BritSethBeau at 11:48 PM on Apr. 25, 2013 in Health

Level 2 (5 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • The hospital has to provide services. The money can come out of a fund created by the Hill Burton Act for people who can't pay. As for the doctors, that's another story. Maybe if there is a teaching hospital, the doctors there can do it with the supervision of an expert in the field.

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:52 PM on Apr. 25, 2013

  • The hospital DOESN't have to let him in for surgery if it isn't life saving at the moment. A friend of mine needed galbladder removal(trivial compared to your son) but because she didn't have insurance NOONE would do it the hospital wouldn't do anything. They said she would have to wait until it was literally burst and go through emergency(if she went to emergency before it was burst they would charge her for the visit and send her home). A year later she finally found a doctor who would let her make payments after the surgery.

    I don't have any other suggestions beyond what you are doing...have you explored all Charity care options??

    Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:04 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

  • Have they caught the person who shot him?
    If they have insurance get a lawyer and fill suit against them

    Answer by Dardenella at 12:12 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

  • It has a different name everywhere, but check your city or county for a department that sounds like community resources. They can direct you to more organizations that can help you until your insurance comes through.

    Answer by NotPanicking at 12:24 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

  • medical discount plans are close enough to insurance and very affordable. I believe most allow you to use it the same month you apply for it and pay the first month's subscription cost. A credit card for medical expenses with low or no interest rates. You can also call some hospital accounting depts. and work out a payment plan or discounted price and explain to them you just need him to get seen ASAP. As long as you are making payments, they might give the green light for the surgery. I've negotiated before but on a smaller expense.


    Answer by hellokittykat at 12:28 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

  • Also, some state supported or religious-affiliated hospitals or those associated with universities are more flexible with working out payment plans or just letting you get the surgery in good faith


    Answer by hellokittykat at 12:34 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

  • hellokittykat

    Answer by hellokittykat at 12:36 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

  • Check with your county government for a program called Aid to the Needy Disabled. It's a small cash payment each month, but people who qualify can also often get on Medicaid more quickly than just applying for Medicaid on its own. You and your son will be in my thoughts and prayers.

    Answer by Ballad at 3:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2013

  • This is the situation I don't want to be in when I get hospitalized but if the medical treatment is needed asap I think they should prioritize the patient first before anything else. Also you have pending medicaid to pay for them, ask if they can consider it or else everything will need to come out of your own pocket which is really expensive. Also, check with Yep Market  if there's an insurance coverage that will fit for your situation.


    Answer by breadroll at 5:49 PM on May. 8, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.