Baby won't sleep

I have a 8 month old foster baby who will not sleep. He wakes every 2 hours and is often inconsolable unless you give him a bottle. I want to break this habit and have tried giving him cereal right before bed, using lavendar scented baby lotion, and using background noise from a womb sounds bear and a sound machine. Nothing is working. Please give me advice

soonergirl83

Asked by soonergirl83 at 3:51 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How long have you had him? I agree that his previous situation may have a lot to do with it.

All you can do is comfort him and give him love.

A really good book though is The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elisabeth Pantley, it saved my sanity with my girl :) Give it a shot. You can get a used copy on Amazon.com for less than $10.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:05 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Maybe he has reflux? I would take him to the Pediatrician and make sure its not a health problem. Good Luck. (I'm not getting any sleep either.Don't feel bad...lol)

Mrs.Smith84

Answer by Mrs.Smith84 at 4:01 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i'm not an expert or anything but what kind of background does he come from? for a child of any age being taken from parents is a scary thing. maybe he is just afraid
    pringles_697

Answer by pringles_697 at 4:04 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• MY MOM IS ALSO A FOSTER PARENT AND SHE RECIEVED A SIX MONTH OLD LITTLE BOY AND WE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. THE BEST THING I CAN RECOMEND IS TO COMFORT HIM, THAT IS WHAT WE DID. WELL NOW HE IS A PART OF THE FAMILY ADOPTED 3 MONTHS AGO....
    TashaMarie349

Answer by TashaMarie349 at 4:52 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• If he still needs the bottle he's probably hungry. Cereal before bed is going to fill him short term, but it's giving him fewer calories overall.

Not all babies sleep through at 8 months..and I don't think at this age it should really be considered a "habit". (but...I'm not there in your shoes, either)

What does he eat during the day? Baby food? Table foods? Formula only?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:51 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• He could be cutting a tooth in which case this will pass. He could also have an ear infection in which case you should see a doctor. Have you tried a pacifier? If he slept with a pacifier before, he might be missing the comfort of it. He should be eating between 24-36 oz of formula during the day and eating several baby food meals. If he is getting enough calories during the day, then he shouldn't be waking up hungry every two hours at night. Other than that, he might just need time to feel loved and secure before he can get a good night sleep.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:05 AM on Feb. 17, 2009