How should the child I have guardianship of refer to me? How should I refer to him?

He is a teenager and his parents are alive and well and have a good relationship so I don't want to refer to him as my son. I have guardianship to improve his educational access and participation.

apotropos

Asked by apotropos at 4:05 AM on Apr. 26, 2013 in General Parenting

• Ask him what he would prefer and see what he says.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:13 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

• I personaly whould want to be called by my first mane and him to. You are his guardian.

Answer by louise2 at 6:10 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

• I'm not sure if you mean relationship-wise or name-wise. For the relationship, I would say grandson-in-love or nephew-in-love--something that would immediately indicate that he's not a blood relative. The two of you could probably come up with something catchier. For a name, I like Ms. or Mrs. with my first name or my last initial--Mrs. A or Mama A. Again, you can probably think of something catchier!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:16 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

• Probably first names. Sometimes "Aunt" as a courtesy title if you aren't related.

Answer by Bmat at 8:05 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

• He's a teenager. Ask him! Not being with parents is hard enough but then to tell him to call you Aunt, Mom, etc makes it even harder unless you actually are his Aunt.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:38 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

• You are his guardian and he is your ward
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:56 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

• If it were me, I'd introduce him to people, as "This is my friend ____________", and everyone call each other by their first names. Ive kept care of other people's children for extended periods of time, and I always told others that this young person was my friend. It kept them from being embarrassed with the "ward" title... And eliminated nosy questions.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2013

• Ask him.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2013