How to maintain curly hair?

this is my daughter's hair in the winter:

and now in the (almost) summer when there is even the slightest touch of humidity:

it feels coarse when its like this and looks like it was fried. i was using Dove damage therapy leave in last year and it seemed to do the trick but not anymore now that its longer. a friend of mine told me to only apply the leave in or mousse when wet and then dont touch it once its dry. so does that mean i shouldnt comb it when its dry? she takes her showers at night so that would mean that i wouldnt comb her hair at all during the day. 

idk how to maintain hair like this, mine and my other girls' hair doesn't have this issue. 

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:23 AM on Apr. 26, 2013 in Beauty & Style

• Yeah, I would refrain from combing/brushing when dry. Only use a wide tooth comb, not a brush also.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:36 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

• okay i will i just wasnt sure because im so used to waking up and brushing my hair, its like part of my routine and i thought it was a universe law of hygiene lol but i guess it doesnt apply to all hair types.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 10:39 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

• Never comb curly hair when it's dry. Only use a wide tooth comb or a pick when it's wet. I use a leave in conditioner spray then just shake my hand through my hair when it's still wet as I spray it, best thing I ever tried. When it dries on it's own the curls just twist up by themselves. If I have a good enough cut with short layers it gets real great big loose curls if I wildly blow dry it like it's a windy day. I also use a spray gel. I find that the less I touch my hair the better it lays for me. I lean forward and shake my hair while I spray it and that works much better for me than standing straight or applying mousse or gel with my hands. Dove is a great idea, I've been using it too. There is also frizzing balm you can get and apply when wet to help calm frizz.
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 10:53 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

• Yeah, you would think so, but brushing dry curly makes it frizzy. I'd dampen her hair with a spray bottle of water with a little conditioner in it then comb it in the mornings.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:53 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

• I have very curly hair. Never brush it dry. I have an old hair spray bottle that I rinsed really well and I fill it with water. I spray it on my hair in the morning so I can comb it. Make sure you use a comb, too, because brushes can also make it frizz. I also find that, for my curly hair, the Garnier Fructis products work best. I use the serum every other day after my shower, and use the smoothing cream every morning - I spray my hair with water, comb it, then put in the cream, and comb it through, then style.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:54 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

• i took her upstairs just now and wet her hair to try this mousse i have called captivating curls, and when i lifted the top layer of her hair the bottom half immediately curled up at the slightest touch of water. its like it was begging for moisture lol! thanks for the tips ladies!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 10:56 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

• My dd's hair is the same way. We use garnier fructis products on hers - shampoo, conditioner, leave in conditioner and serum. Comb only when wet.

Answer by missanc at 10:59 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

• Beautiful ! Do not comb or brush her hair after it dries, She has fine hair and when you seperate wavy dry hair with a brush or comb, you will get frizz look. Instead, comb or brush it after bath, then use hands and "mess it" back to curls, in the am, just use a spray bottle and scruntch back the curls then leave it. You can also use a wire pick- which won't seperate the hair as much but it is just as easy to use your fingers..... You can get a leave in- spray in conditioner and quick moisten her hair with that as well. Variety creates style. Pony tail it, pig tail, chunk braid...... I would have so much fun with that hair .... :-) .
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:02 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

• There is a product called It's a 10 Miracle Leave In Conditioner. It's pretty pricey, but boy is it worth it. I think you should try that as a conditioner to style it and then use a light hold spray to keep it in place.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:03 AM on Apr. 26, 2013

•  

this is how it looks now after i wet it and used the mousse! sooo much better! 

tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 11:07 AM on Apr. 26, 2013