Sister set on homebirth but midwives are illegal in her state

So if she stays in her state she will be using a midwife who's practicing outside of the law meaning not allowed to carry medication and might be less likely to call for help because it can get you turned in(I've seen other people use illegal midwives and thank heaven they turned out ok because those midwives didn't even have a current neonatal resuscitation). What do you encourage her to do to find a legal midwife when there are no CNMs? Maybe if she came back here for the last 3-4 months since they are legal here in this state? Really looking for a good options for her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Apr. 26, 2013 in Pregnancy

• If she really wants a home birth tell her to go to your state and do it then. If she did it in her state and something happened, you're right the midiwife may book it leaving her and baby to possibly die.
    Maybe try to get the name of this "midwie" she is using and call the local authorities and turn her in.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 26, 2013

• im sorry but a decent midwife wouldnt perform a homebirth illegally. why would your sister put her life and her baby's life in the hands of someone that's even willing to take that risk? thats extremely irresponsible for both parties. i would definitely try and encourage her to try finding someone that's legally qualified in her state to deliver babies, or go to another state where her wishes can be fulfilled.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:06 PM on Apr. 26, 2013

• If you go to a state where it's legal can you like birth in a hotel room or something like that since they can't do it at your home?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2013

• If she leaves the state to give birth in a hotel room, why not just give birth in a hospital?
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure I understand. Where I live a midwife can do a home birth but cannot, in any way, prescribe medication because S/he is not a doctor. If you need medication then a home birth is not for you. Home births are for situations where there is a very low risk factor...

If your sister is liable to need meds then why does she want a home birth? Maybe I'm missing something?
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:25 PM on Apr. 26, 2013

• I agree with WG. Typically I've not seen NM have prescribing authority. Some APRN's CAN prescribe but not midwives, that I've noticed. So she'd rather give birth in a motel room than a hospital? *shudder*

What state is she in?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2013

• Could she stay with you for a few months, or with family in another state where midwives are legal? What does her partner have to say about all of this? I agree that using an illegally practicing midwife is a very dangerous idea, since that midwife might be hesitant to call for emergency help if it were needed, God forbid, and sometimes that emergency help has to be called very quickly.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:38 PM on Apr. 26, 2013

• Most legal homebirth midwives carry an anti-hemorrhagic medications because it's a common complication(some carry herbals but anyway). An oxygen tank is usually standard too at least among my friends who practice here. If she came back here it might be more comfortable to deliver at a local birth center(I've got a friend who works there as a doula) because our water heater is wimpy but our house is fine.

She's in amish country Pennsylvania so some have a kind of religious exemption for the Amish community but she doesn't have anything religious for doing this. The state says you have to be a CNM according to the MANA website and looking up PA law,she could go to NYC or Delaware easily though and they have a few legal midwives listed with MANA.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:38 PM on Apr. 26, 2013

• It looks like there might be a CNM birth center in Philadelphia though so I'll tell her about that one. So glad I found it, I used to clean hotel rooms and there the cleanest places.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2013

• A good midwife has a doctor on speed dial who will meet her at the hospital and take her word for it on the patient's condition in addition to an anti hemorrhagic and oxygen. A bad midwife will dump you and run. Not a safe way to go. Good luck with the birth center. Sounds like a good way to go.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 5:41 AM on Apr. 27, 2013