I'm kind of freaking out ...

I was listening to the local TV news, and a story came up about the preschool where my daughter goes. A parent had told the TV station the childcare center informe her that they were working with Social Services to investigate and "alleged incident" and that a teacher was temporarily suspended. I called the center because I was concerned, and all I was told was that because of confidentiality, I couldn't be given any details, and that the center was working with the county to resolve the issue. I'm assuming I would be told if the incident involved my child, but would I be informed if the teacher helped out in my daughter's classes if she wasn't involved in whatever's going on?

I'm trying to keep this in perspective, but I feel guilty now, and just upset. I sent my daughter to preschool because I thought the other kids and the activities would be good for her, and they have been. But it's hard, kissing your baby and hustling her out the door every day to be looked after by someone else, and then hearing that something might be amiss. And next year she'll be in the wider world of kindergarten ... it's making my heart race and my stomach queasy.

Where's the bubble wrap? I think I need a child-sized piece! Maybe 45 inches long, and enough to rap up a 35-pound five-year-old!

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 4:05 PM on Apr. 26, 2013 in General Parenting

• I understand how you feel, but this is a good example of how we have to teach our children their own personal boundaries, what is a good touch, bad touch, how to speak up for themselves, and that they can tell you ANYTHING!! You can't protect her from everything, so they best you can do is make sure she is well informed on how to keep herself safe. Unfortunately, we all know that isn't enough at times, and those are the toughest times of parenthood. It's hard to let our little ones go into the big, bad world, and Im sorry that this has been basically "slapped in your face", but make the most of it, mama and keep teaching her to be safe.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:11 PM on Apr. 26, 2013

• If the teacher in question even BREATHED on your child they would inform you. Actually, they have to.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:12 PM on Apr. 26, 2013

• And if you really want to freak out.. most cases of child abuse involve family. There is an actual basis for the term "funny uncle."

Answer by gdiamante at 4:13 PM on Apr. 26, 2013

• You would smother her Ballad.
    If your child was involved they would tell you and your child would be interviewed by CPS.
    I do not think they will tell if the teacher has ever been in your child's room because that could narrow down which teacher which is an invassion of her privacy until she is found to be guilty.

I feel for you and do know my first reaction would be to yank my child out of that school, and that would be silly and just upset her..
    You can call and verify that your daghter was not involved or witness in this incident. They should be able to say yes or know to that question and if they do not, then I would seriously think hard about taking her out.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2013

• Since CPS is involved, if there was any contact from that teacher with any of the children those parents may already know about it.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:12 PM on Apr. 26, 2013

• The school has an obligation to keep all parents informed regardless of who it involved. They don't have divulge names but can just say it generically. I'd get together with a few other parents and put some pressure on the school. They'd have to give in since you pay the bill.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 9:17 PM on Apr. 26, 2013

• Call back and say "I am not looking for the name of this teacher. I just want to know if this teacher was ever in the same class as my child and if so how often." They should be able to answer that, if not threaten to call the media and say the school is refusing to let parents know if their child was affected by what ever this teacher did.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2013