Raccoons Help!

We have raccoons getting into the trash nightly! Hence why I'm up at 5 am... they woke up the damn dog and now I can't get back to sleep...

I used to live in the mountains and the raccoons would go away if you went out and shooed them away. now I live in the city and dang it! these raccoons are almost friendly! they just stared at me while I threw things at them! all that got them to leave was when I got the unopened can of soup and hit one in the head!

I don't want to use poison or traps since I have an outside cat that has adopted us...

any ideas???

flutterfae

Asked by flutterfae at 5:20 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Home & Garden

• The 'coons are looking for food, so you need to secure your trash better. Keep your cans and/or bags and other garbage in a lockable shed or garage until collection day to keep temptation away. Also, 'coons are nocturnal and will be gone by the time the sun comes up, so don't put your garbage out until the morning of collection day to discourage the raccoons from coming by at night to invade your garbage to find food. If you have an open compost bin, you may also want to consider investing in a closed bin to help limit the smell from attracting more 'coons to your property. If you have close by neighbors, you may want to talk to them about securing their trash too. If you have a lot of 'coons in your area, contact animal control and ask them for help dealing with them.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:25 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Contact the animal control department (it is usually part of the police dept) and file a report. They can come out and trap them. They will usually relocate them to an area outside of the city.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 8:34 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• We have issues with racoons at our house too. Animal control (here) won't help us, they only deal with "domesticated" animals, not wild animals, but they gave us a phone number for a company that will trap them for us. We were also told that racoons don't like the smell of moth balls, so maybe put some moth ball poultices in your trash cans. Also you can get (or make) animal proof latches for your cans. You could buy a trap and trap them yourself and release them somewhere else (which is what we are going to do).
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:54 PM on Feb. 17, 2009