How to go about finding owner or keeping stray cat?

So I've apparently been adopted by this cat...
Until today she had on a collar with a bell but no tags, then today when she came in the collar was gone. She just walks in as if she owns the place and is super sweet and lovable so I would love to keep her...

But since she isn't your typical skiddish stray, I figure she has an owner somewhere in the neighborhood.

How do I try to find her owner or do I just keep her until someone notices?

She's even great with our Chihuahua and my 18 month old and almost 3 year old.

Do I make posters and put them up? Do I go door to door? or just keep her?
Hubby had bought a litter box and cat carrier at Christmas because he intended to go adopt a cat from the shelter for me because I'm a cat person but haven't had a cat for years... so all I need is food and litter...

flutterfae

Asked by flutterfae at 5:28 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Pets

• I'd keep her. lol...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:32 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I would suggest making a couple posters for the neighborhood. I would also put an ad on Craigslist for your area to see if someone is looking for their kitty. I would keep her until(if) someone claims her. But if nobody claims her, and you're willing to adopt her instead of sending her to the shelter then that's awesome. But I do think you have the responsibility to do what you can to find the owners, and who knows, maybe they don't want her and will let you have her. But imagine if it was your kitty who got lost and you missed her? You would want the people who found her to do the same.

munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 5:38 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• You could put up some posters with FOUND CAT on them in big letters and then more detail, I'd hold back on some information so whoever calls would have to know what you held back- such as the kind of collar she had, or some marking on her, that would prove they were the owner. Around here people make copies of the notice and put them on (not in) the mailboxes. Take small notices to the local vets and to the humane society. Think where you would look if you lost a pet and take the notice there. Somebody could be looking for her, or she may have two homes now. :) My mother had a cat come who stayed there part of the time and at the other place part of the time.The saddest of all is when people move away and abandon their pet. You are very good to consider adopting this kitty. Please keep us informed?

Answer by Bmat at 8:51 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• make posters, put an ad in the local newspaper, and sometimes cats have two (or more) homes they go to. my cats that i used to have would stay gone for weeks at a time, then come home for a couple of weeks. i'm sure they had other homes
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 2:10 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I kept a stray that adopted us. After a couple weeks we figured out who he belonged to. They eventually found out we had him. They never came to get him and he's still here.

Is the cat well taken care of? It looks a bit skinny in the picture but it's hard to tell. We brought our cat in because he was extremely skinny and infested with fleas. I had no intention of giving him back if they came asking for him.

InsanitySpeaks

Answer by InsanitySpeaks at 11:43 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I would make posters and put them around your neighborhood. My poor neighbors lost their kitty and had posters all over. The owners may be looking for the kitty, and you really don't know how that collar came off.
    Anonymous