Girls with Boy names...

I want to name my daughter Elizabeth Grace H_(one syllable)_ and call her Eli for short. Dh and I love it but my mother says it would be stupid to call DD Eli rather than Liz or Lizzy.... What do you think.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2013 in Baby Names

• I LOVE a ton of boy names used for girls. Names like Evan, Ryan, Cameron, Cory. Would you pronounce Eli like E-Lie or like Elly? I think Elly is cute.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 7:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2013

• Cool. She prefers Liz because that is proper pronunciation. Eli isn't how Elizabeth sounds. Oops.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2013

• Don't worry about what your mother thinks. But she can call her whatever she wants. She can call her Lizzie or Pumpkin, whatever. I don't think you can plan a nick name. They just have to happen.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:19 AM on Apr. 27, 2013

• When I se Eli as a nickname I still think L-E, Ellie. So are you meaning E-Lie? I do prefer it to Liz though.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:50 AM on Apr. 27, 2013

• Im assuming you are pronouncing Eli like Ellie and not E-lie...? My friends dd is Elisabeth and goes by Eli (ellie) but to me whenever I see them write Eli I pronounce it like E-lie. Ellie is a great nn for an Elizabeth, so much better IMO than Lizzy/Liz, but I would spell it Ellie so she doesn't have people questioning how to pronounce it.
    coolassmom87

Answer by coolassmom87 at 3:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• I am assuming that since you mention "girls with boy names" you intend it to be pronounced Eli as in the boy name "Eli."
    I can see why your mom objects; she doesn't like it & would prefer a more recognized nickname for Elizabeth.
    I imagine when she calls it "stupid" she thinks it's a bad idea & wishes you would change your mind. She may think if she causes you to doubt your decision, you will change your mind, so she ridicules it as "stupid."
    I don't agree with that tactic (and also don't agree that what you intend is "stupid") but I just see it as an attempt to control outcomes. She thinks this is what she "needs" to do.
    I would prefer an honest exchange of feedback & personal preference that honors the other people's autonomy rather than trying to force a particular desired outcome.
    A lot of people have given you positive feedback over your intended nickname. So no, it's not "stupid"! Some people will love it; some won't.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:52 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• Doesn't sound bad...everybody im sure will come up with a different nickname for her when she comes. just like my niece her name is aiyanna but family members call her aya, nanna, yanna, and aiyna. Weird but we all like to call her those specific names she listens to all names and its not that we don't like the other nicknames we just came up with one of our own to call her but its your choice to call your daughter whatever you decide.
    proudmami23

Answer by proudmami23 at 12:06 PM on May. 4, 2013

• Not a fan -

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:49 PM on May. 10, 2013

• I think it is your choice. If you want to name her Elizabeth and use the nickname Eli - then do it. And tell your mother that her name is either Elisabeth or Eli - nothing else. Even if she doesn't like it, I assume she will get over it.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 1:52 AM on Aug. 4, 2013

• I love Eli (Ellie) for a nickname!
    IvyRhiann

Answer by IvyRhiann at 11:21 AM on Aug. 8, 2013