Atrial fib

Has anyone gotten it? I got it for the first time and with med I went out of it, but the doctor said he guarantees me that I will go back into it. Structually my heart was fine, and no reason except for vomiting with a headache was the cause. I must admit, I am very nervous thinking I could be going in with every little funny heartbeat. The doctor didn't know when, but said once you go into it, you will again, I just don't know when. Anyone else fear this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:39 PM on Apr. 26, 2013 in Health

• First, try not to freak out too much. It's really very common. That said, it doesn't mean it shouldn't be kept on top of with regular visits to your doctor.

What tests did he run? Did he check your thyroid? What medications did he put you on and will he continue you on them?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:00 PM on Apr. 26, 2013

• I had it before when I was really dehydrated. Never had it again. It's been years. The time to worry is when it's caused my a heart condition, and not a symptom of another condition... For example, I had it because I was dehydrated, NOT because I have heart issues. But follow your doctor's advice. Just don't get stressed about it cuz that will make any medical condition worse.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 7:05 PM on Apr. 26, 2013

• It's actually very common, still a scary feeling.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2013

• I was dx with hypothyroid when in the hospital but they said that it didn't cause it. i just started on meds for hypothyroid. I have been trying to drink more water, they mentioned that I stay well hydrated..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:57 PM on Apr. 26, 2013

• I had EKG, and echo done after i went back into rthym and alot of blood work.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2013

• Under-medicated hypothyroidism can cause atrial fib. It's odd they don't know that.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:00 PM on Apr. 26, 2013

• I thought I had read that too. Thanks.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:43 PM on Apr. 26, 2013

• My husband
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:51 PM on Apr. 26, 2013

• I had a fib several times about 13 years ago. It self converted every time. I remember one time it was dehydraton. I haven't had an "attack" since.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 12:34 AM on Apr. 27, 2013

• Just keep your eye on it and try to note other conditions when it happens. It can happen for a few seconds and self correct. Different people have different triggers. Sometimes its as strange as putting your head upside down, or drinking caffeine.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:42 AM on Apr. 27, 2013