how to get my toddler from biting

babywilliam1117

Asked by babywilliam1117 at 8:25 PM on Apr. 26, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How old is your child? Is the biting all the time, or in particular situations? Are you getting bit, or other children? What have you tried so far?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:01 AM on Apr. 27, 2013

• My son is 18 months, and will try to bite us on siduations when we're just relaxing. I think its him wanting more attention.

babywilliam1117

Comment by babywilliam1117 (original poster) at 7:10 AM on Apr. 27, 2013

• Be vigilant and watch for when he is close and might bite. Calmly say no biting. Make eye contact. Lots of kids go through this phase and it's best to watch carefully all the time. It is a pain, but it isn't appropriate to get angry or punish, especially at this age. They are learning about things and do not realize it hurts. This approach worked for a friend whose child did this at about the same age.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:48 AM on Apr. 27, 2013

• Just say "no bite!" But this is a stage and he will stop on his own soon.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:15 AM on Apr. 27, 2013

• This is a stage...but the no bite did not work for me........so I would take her finger and gently bite a lil bit and showed her how it hurt and she stopped real quick. I did this because one day her and a cousin were playing and she bit her cousin and took a huge chunk out of her skin.and I actually talked to her doc and said gently biting them back is not wrong.
    Fairymom32

Answer by Fairymom32 at 11:38 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• My daughter started biting when she started getting her 1 yr molars. Biting back does work, just not hard. but hard enough so they know you are serious. She stopped right away.
    Jschulke

Answer by Jschulke at 1:56 PM on May. 12, 2013