George Jones, country superstar, dies at 81

Published April 26, 2013

Associated Press

George Jones, the peerless, hard-living country singer who recorded dozens of hits about good times and regrets and peaked with the heartbreaking classic "He Stopped Loving Her Today," has died. He was 81.

Jones died Friday at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville after being hospitalized with fever and irregular blood pressure, according to his publicist Kirt Webster.

With one of the most golden voices of any genre, a clenched, precise, profoundly expressive baritone, Jones had No. 1 songs in five separate decades, 1950s to 1990s. He was idolized not just by fellow country artists, but by Frank Sinatra, Pete Townshend, Elvis Costello, James Taylor and countless others. "If we all could sound like we wanted to, we'd all sound like George Jones," Waylon Jennings once sang.

In a career that lasted more than 50 years, "Possum" evolved from young honky-tonker to elder statesman as he recorded more than 150 albums and became the champion and symbol of traditional country music, a well-lined link to his hero, Hank Williams. Jones survived long battles with alcoholism and drug addiction, brawls, accidents and close encounters with death, including bypass surgery and a tour bus crash that he only avoided by deciding at the last moment to take a plane.

His failure to appear for concerts left him with the nickname "No Show Jones," and he later recorded a song by that name and often opened his shows by singing it. His wild life was revealed in song and in his handsome, troubled face, with its dark, deep-set eyes and dimpled chin.

In song, he was rowdy and regretful, tender and tragic. His hits included the sentimental "Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes," the foot-tapping "The Race is On," the foot-stomping "I Don't Need Your Rockin' Chair," the melancholy "She Thinks I Still Care," the rockin' "White Lightning," and the barfly lament "Still Doing Time." Jones also recorded several duets with Tammy Wynette, his wife for six years, including "Golden Ring," ''Near You," ''Southern California" and "We're Gonna Hold On." He also sang with such peers as Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard and with Costello and other rock performers.

But his signature song was "He Stopped Loving Her Today," a weeper among weepers about a man who carries his love for a woman to his grave. The 1980 ballad, which Jones was sure would never be a hit, often appears on surveys as the most popular country song of all time.

Jones won Grammy awards in 1981 for "He Stopped Loving Her Today" and in 1999 for "Choices." He was elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1992 and in 2008 was among the artists honored in Washington at the Kennedy Center.

Jones continued to make appearances and put out records, though his hit records declined.

"I don't want to completely quit because I don't know what to do with myself," he said in 2005. "I'll be out there as long as the people want me to be out there."

Jones was a purist who lamented the transformation of country music from the family feeling of the 1950s to the hit factory of the early 21st century. He was so caught up in country, old country, that when a record company executive suggested he record with James Taylor, Jones insisted he had never heard of the million selling singer-songwriter. He was equally unimpressed when told that Neil Young had come to visit backstage and declined to see him, saying he didn't know who he was. He did listen to the Rolling Stones, only because of the guitar playing of Keith Richards, a country fan who would eventually record with Jones.

Asked about what he thought about Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift and other young stars, Jones said they were good but they weren't making traditional country music.

"What they need to do really, I think, is find their own title," he said.

In 1991, country star Alan Jackson dedicated his hit song "Don't Rock the Jukebox" to Jones, asking in the song that country music remain faithful to the Jones style instead of drifting toward rock 'n' roll.

Much more at http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/04/26/george-jones-dead-country-superstar-was-81/.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:21 AM on Apr. 27, 2013 in Entertainment

• I'm very sad by his death. Who's gonna fill HIS shoes?
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:36 AM on Apr. 27, 2013

• I've been listening to his songs all evening. We lost a legend today. Rip.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 12:31 AM on Apr. 27, 2013

• ive never been a fan of country music, but ive always held a place in my heart for some of the older country artists b/c my grandpa always listened to them. George Jones was one of his favorites...RIP
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:49 AM on Apr. 27, 2013

• mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:28 AM on Apr. 27, 2013

• No one can fill his shoes Ginger. :( The man is a legend. He is going to be missed. RIP
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:51 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• Growing my parents loved listening to him.
    RIP
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:25 AM on Apr. 27, 2013

• Rip
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:50 AM on Apr. 27, 2013

• I'm not really a fan of country music, but even I know who he is. When I was little & stayed at my grandparents' house, I remember watching Hee Haw w/ them. Glad he lived to a ripe old age & that he left a piece of himself here on Earth for all to remember him by. RIP Mr. Jones.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:27 AM on Apr. 27, 2013