Picky Eater

I am running out of patience with my DD. She is saying she is hungry and she wants to eat. She is almost 2 years old. I will pull out all of her favorite food for her to tell me no and throw a fit. I am trying to figure out what she wants and she will tell me apple or chip chip and even if I get one of those she yells at me no and says she does not want it. I gave her a bowl of cereal this morning and she threw it all over my floor. Please any help would GREAT and please if you are gonna be negative......skip this.

annabelle092810

Asked by annabelle092810 at 8:40 AM on Apr. 27, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's a fun game for her. She makes you jump when she asks for something! They learn quick!. So you decide what she should have & serve it then ignore the hysterics. Soon, she will eat what she is given. They'll eat when they are hungry.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:44 AM on Apr. 27, 2013

• You are the adult anf she is controling you, lol
    Cheer up, this is a common problems witth first time moms, even one as "perfect" as me (yeah right)
    Put the food out. If she does not eat it take it away and put it in the fridge. If she is hungry she will get the same food. If she is hungry she will eat. If she thorws it on the floor. clean it up and put her in confinement, with a "we do not throw food". If she is hungry make her wait a little after she asks for it and give her the same food, obviously not the food from the floor. This is a power struggle,momma, and you are losing ATM, but we are on your side.
    She is not going to starve herself to death, promise.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:20 AM on Apr. 27, 2013

• I would like to add that if she throws food in the floor she can and SHOULD be helping to clean it up. Even if it means putting off the cleaning until she is calm enough to do so or physically helping her clean it with your hand over hers. At almost two she knows what she is doing and she needs to know it has consequences.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:24 AM on Apr. 27, 2013

• Yes, it's SO hard to do this, but like the others have said, put out what you want her to have and stick with it. The problem gets ten times worse if you jump through hoops for her. Been there, done that............and it was terrible. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 9:37 AM on Apr. 27, 2013

• I did not have much of a problem with picky eater issues. They did try, but I would not put up with it. Eat or starve tell the next meal was my mato.

Answer by louise2 at 9:41 AM on Apr. 27, 2013

• When she says she is hungry I would give her 2 choices (apple or Cheerios?). If she doesn't want either of those, she doesn't eat. Simple. When she's really hungry she'll make a choice. And when she learns she won't get anything else she'll stop making such a fuss.

Answer by missanc at 9:49 AM on Apr. 27, 2013

• I agree with not playing games which is what she is doing, you know what she likes, jut give it to her and she throws a tantrum and throws it on the floor, a little time out is needed, that is unacceptable. Likesomeone else said she will eat when she gets hungry, do not give her so many options...

Answer by older at 10:32 AM on Apr. 27, 2013

• She eats what you've prepared, or not at all.
    She'll get hungry, and she'll eat.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:05 AM on Apr. 27, 2013

• Stop with taking orders. How about coming up with a menu of what you are serving and put it in front of her. If she eats, great. If not, then she must not be that hungry. I have a picky eater and if he wanted something I wasn't serving he just wouldn't get anything. I spent a lot of time making different meals for him than the rest of the family just to make sure he was eating (mostly because he was really skinny and DH was worried about his weight). It's a lot of work and really not worth it. I stopped making him separate meals from the rest of us (I will make both kids something different if DH and I want something we know they won't eat) and if he eats it, great. If not, he's out of luck because that's what I am serving. I would suggest that you stop giving cereal with milk and if she knocks stuff on the floor again, make her pick it up.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:12 AM on Apr. 27, 2013

• She may be getting overwhelmed with too many choices. Give her two nutritious options and have her decide between those, or wait to eat till she is hungry enough to choose one.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2013