I HAVE A 7 YEAR OLD THAT I HAVE BEEN IN HIS LIFE THE WHOLE TIME ABOUT 7 MONTHS AGO I GOT OUT OF A RELAATIONSHIP THEN I WAS SINGLE THEN BACK IN OCT I HOOKED UP WITH THIS GUY AND BEEN DATING HIM. ON VALENTINES DAY I WENT TO HIS HOUSE AND MY SON WAS WITH HIS GRANDMA AND AUNT AND WHEN I WAS GONE HE CALLED ME 4 TIMES CRYING WANTING ME TO COME HOME BUT I DID NOT COME HOME I STAYED AND CAME HOME THE NEXT DAY I JUST WANTED TO KNOW WAS THAT A GOOD CHOICE TO LET HIM CRY AND WILL HE EVER GROW OUT OF THIS

HE IS SO ATTACED TO ME THAT IN THE MORNING I END UP FINDING HIM IN MY ROOM IN MY BED WHAT TO DO

ilovemom319

Asked by ilovemom319 at 6:40 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• he really needs to learn to share his mommy. I know it's hard but honey, if you don't get out and date, you won't be happy and an unhappy mommy is not good for your son.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:54 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I think you need to explain things to your son better. He's 7--not an adult, and does not understand why adults do what they do! Maybe he thinks you're not coming back...you know, like how one day, Daddy didn't?! Is your son's father in his life? Does he ever spend time with him? Boys need their fathers.

Yes, your son needs to learn that Mommy is allowed to have a life too, but NOT at the expense of your child's needs. Sometimes being a parent means putting your child's needs (no matter how inconsequential they are to you) first!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:09 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• you should have gone home. he's been through a lot, and needs to know your not going to leave him too. it's too soon for HIM for you to have overnight visits with your new bf, and right now he really needs reasurance that you'll always come home, and that he comes first in your life
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 10:42 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Well...I believe that you made a decent enough choice. Your son was in loving an capable hands. I understand that he's been through alot and so have YOU!!! But life must go on, and he needs to understand that. He is 7 and is old enough to understand that you are an individual person NOT just his mommy, and that you my date and go out, and stay over ect. Take time to spend special times with your son to help him feel secure but don't let him rule the roost. You are the parent, he is the child. You make decisions, he will learn to accept them. I personally see it as disrespectful for him to call you 4 times crying, he's old enough to be tough and get through the night without you. In our house when we make a decision it is what is it, and we do not negotiate with the kids because it is our call, we are in charge, and fits are just selfish.
    puddleybug

Answer by puddleybug at 10:56 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• You don't need to be having overnight dates while mothering a 7 year old. Your first responsibility is to your child.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 12:32 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I think I would have not stayed the nite on Valentines DAy. I would have explained to the little one that I would be coming home to spend part of the holiday with him. Kids sometimes don't understand like we do. In my opinion. I would definitely not let it be a habit that he would cry and i would come home. Be sure to instill a secure relationship with your child so when you tell him you will be back, you keep your word and he can count on it.
    nana2u10

Answer by nana2u10 at 6:47 AM on Feb. 18, 2009