Is it socially acceptable these days?

For kids to come over to play with your little ones and walk in without ringing the doorbell? They all seem to do it, but I hate it. I never would have dreamed of doing that as a kid. If the door is unlocked, in they breeze. If it's locked, instead of ringing the doorbell, they stand outside the screen and call my daughter's name. Is this rude, or am I just joining the ranks of the world's geezers who are out of touch with the way things are done in the New Millennium?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:24 PM on Apr. 27, 2013 in General Parenting

• I have noticed that SAME trend. Drives me batty. I have a sign for my door knob that says 'Carl and Quinn can't play outside right now-please come back tomorrow ( the other side says later).' Because they would knock and yell all the way up to 8-8:30 on weeknights!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• I would tell the kids right then and there they have to ring the bell and no yelling. If they don't know any better, someone needs to tell them.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:56 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• if the kids did it at our house, I would explain how they need to knock. That just walking in was not okay.
    We rarely had the problem. There were a couple, as they got older that I would allow, but I knew they were coming or whatever and would tell the kids to let them know they could just come in
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• That has never happened here. Usually the girls next door will poke their heads over the wall and ask if my kids can hang out. No one has ever walked in and my kids would never do that.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• That's weird (and yes, it's rude). We've never had that problem here or where I used to live.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• my neighbor's kids will do it in our backyard patio door but not with our front door. for example if im sitting on the patio watching the kids play and they wander over to my yard they just open it as if i said 'hey, come right on in!"

my 3 year old has done it at their house when we're outside playing, they live about 4 houses down and she'll run over and just walk into their house. i definitely think its rude so ive been drilling it into her head that it's very rude to do that and she has to knock at other people's houses.

but older kids (like my neighbors) should know better!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• Kids used to do that where we used to live. Sooo rude. I wouldn't want mine to just walk into someone's house. I should've able to walk from the shower to my bedroom without some creepy kid letting himself in. And don't get me started on the ones who freely pilfer through my refrigerator and cupboard without asking. I just don't like having kids over because I have to look like the meany because I expect them to knock first or ask permission for a snack.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:47 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• If you lock your doors that wont and can't happen. Come try to walk into my house like that. My door and screen door are locked.

Answer by louise2 at 4:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• If I were expecting the child, I might tell them to go ahead and just come on in, but if not, I would expect them to knock. Heck, even I, as an adult told to just come on in, will knock before I open the door somewhere. I teach my kids the same thing. If someone just came walking in my house without knocking and without having been told they could just come on in, I would very plainly tell them that it's rude to simply walk into someone's house without knocking and that if they do it again, they will not be welcome in my home until they can learn that.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 4:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• My neighborhood has a couple of kids who do that, I ask them to please knock next time!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 6:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2013