Is there any website or anything that can help to potty train my autistic child?

I have an autistic child who is currently 10 years old. I have struggled so much over the past years to potty train him but nothing has worked. Now that he's 10, it has become beyond ridiculous. From buying overnight diapers to pulls up. Even the pull ups, he wets them over a period of 3 hours. Another obstacle is that he doesn't know how to speak. It has become beyond stressful. Is there any website or anything that can help me?

JosieNorth10

Asked by JosieNorth10 at 7:14 PM on Apr. 27, 2013 in General Parenting

• chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 7:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• http://www.autismspeaks.org/science/resources-programs/autism-treatment-network/atn-air-p-toilet-training

also look for behvioral clinics in your area that may offer assitance.  

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• Will his teachers at school not help with ideas and consistency between home and school? Do you have the Medicaid waiver program for your state? They cover the cost of adult diapers, at least they do here.
    Does your son follow a picture schedule? That would be the place to start by just adding it into his routine that every 15-30 minutes he goes and sits on the potty. Use rewards - whatever works for him. My oldest has autism and we used honeybuns because that's what he loved.

Answer by missanc at 8:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• @But_Mommie Thank you for the great ideas! Especially the adult diapers, but the problem is I'm not sure if they would fit. He's pretty small, 53 pounds. But, I will look into it. Thank you.
    JosieNorth10

Comment by JosieNorth10 (original poster) at 8:08 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• Oops, I meant @missanc. But, thank you as well @But_Mommie!
    JosieNorth10

Comment by JosieNorth10 (original poster) at 8:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• I just assumed finding the right size was part of the problem. They also make a youth/junior size but usually you have to order them, stores don't carry them (but if Medicaid is paying, they order for you anyway)

Answer by missanc at 8:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• Okay, I'm going to look into it immediately because that would be very helpful.
    JosieNorth10

Comment by JosieNorth10 (original poster) at 8:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2013