Is it to early to buy my 5 year old a laptop?

My step daughter is really smart and she keeps asking me for a laptop would it be to early to get her one?

luv.My.JK

Asked by luv.My.JK at 11:17 PM on Apr. 27, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would get the family one and allow her to use it supervised.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• Her own? No I would not. Think ahead. If you give her a lap top at 5 what will you give her later?
    % year olds are hard on things and lap tops are no exception.
    Did she tell you why she wants one?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• no reason she just wanted her own that she didnt have to share with her brother
    luv.My.JK

Comment by luv.My.JK (original poster) at 11:24 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• I wouldn't get my 7 year old DD a laptop if she asked for one. There is no reason for it. She can use our computers when she wants on.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• I would never have bought one for my kids at that age. I bought my oldest her own laptop last year... as a graduation gift. We figured she'd need one for college. The other kids have to share the old ghetto one.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• There are some less expensive tablets for kids that have educational games and a lot less of the features that little ones wouldn't use by themselves anyway. You can get a Kulio or one of those for under $200.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:33 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• She should be running around outside and not stuck in-front of a computer. Do you want her to be like that chick who stepped in between the two trains and got crushed cause she was texting. You really need think about what technology is doing to our society and prevent it one child at a time. You must be to tired or lazy to make sharing the computer rules.
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 11:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• When my youngest was that age, he and his brother got my husband's old laptop (my husband upgraded his). They have online homework for school, and I was fine with them having the old computer. I wouldn't have gotten them a brand new one just because they wanted it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:39 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• BTW the American College of Pediatrics suggests that children not have more than 1 hour screen time per day. That includes TV and time at school.
    Too much can lead to obesity and heart disease and well and disfunctional social inreactive skills.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:06 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• Nope our daughter got a pink one when she was 3.
    Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 12:25 AM on Apr. 28, 2013