Kindle? Nook? Android? Other?

I truly prefer a hard copy of a book but with getting old comes some problems with walking to the library and carrying books back home. So I may have to give in to modern technology and invest in a reader but I have no clue about them. First off I don't have wi-fi so if they need that, I can't use them. Other than that, I'm good. So, what do you ladies recommend? I do see that Kindle has 2 kinds (one with "fire" and one without, lol). I'd rather ask you ladies than to ask my kids or grandkids and have them laugh at me. I don't mind if strangers laugh! lol

Asked by admckenzie at 11:42 PM on Apr. 27, 2013 in Technology

• I have a kindle fire HD
    I have enjoyed the heckout of it.
    I must admit the only thing I have done is play a game on it though
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:53 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• Is the Kindle Fire HD one where you could check your email or FB if traveling and found a wi-fi spot? I was thinking that was maybe the difference between K. Fire and the other (*cheaper) Kindle.

Comment by admckenzie (original poster) at 11:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• Yes, a Kindle Fire lets you surf the web. Do you like to read in the car or outside? If so, look at the Kindle Paperwhite. No glare! I love my Kindle, & a lot of the classics are $1
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 11:59 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• I'll be traveling by plane not driving. I prefer being indoors but with 9 grandsons I am sure they will drag me outside to watch them play ball or something so reading outside without glare would be a bonus.

Comment by admckenzie (original poster) at 12:04 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• I love my Kindle. I would recommend getting a Kindle. There are different types (Fire and Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard). If you want just an e-reader then I would go with the Kindle Paperwhite or Kindle Touch.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 12:07 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• Oh and the Kindle is great for reading outside (no glare).
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 12:08 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• I have a nook , using it right now. I also have an Android, I like the Android better.
    Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 12:16 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• I use the kindle app on my iPad and really like it.
    DD has Kindle Fire HD and its a great little thing. Everyone I know who has a kindle really likes it.
    DS1 has a Nook Color and was disappointed by it.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:34 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• I prefer actual books, but I like my Nook more than our Kindle.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:44 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• I have a Kindle Fire and love it, my oldest has one also. You do need wifi to download the books, but once they are on there you don't need it. My local library has tons of e books to check out.

Answer by missanc at 3:42 AM on Apr. 28, 2013