My son is out of control....

I adopted my son when he was one years old and now he is three years old and he is out of control, using bad words (words that are not used in the house) fighting his sister, talking back.. Is spankings/whooppngs a good discipline?

luv.My.JK

Asked by luv.My.JK at 11:50 PM on Apr. 27, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe the structure/environment routine is just not right for him. Change things up, not all kids need the same thing. Try using the positive reinforcement and reward the GOOD behavior. And you are not "bribing them" like many of the moms I know. My dd is 4 and she got pretty bad there for a while! ANd try not tell him him "no" so much. God knows I was guilty of doing that to my daughter. And I think a mom here told me to "pick my battles". And when I started doing that, things got real easy after that.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:27 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• Sorry I meant to say instead of this........And you are not "bribing them" like many of the moms I know......I meant "And you are not "bribing them" like many of the moms think I do"
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:32 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• No Spanking! Go to the Library & get the book "1 2 3 Magic", how to disciple without spanking.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:34 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• Is spankings/whooppngs a good discipline? No, don't take the easy way out, find out what's going on.

He wouldn't know the bad words unless he heard them from someone start with finding out where he is hearing these things. I would take him to a professional, don't underestimate how past abuse could be still effecting him today. Also if he was exposed to drugs or alcohol in the womb this could also be having long lasting effects on him.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• I spanked for any occasion in which my kid was in DANGER, which was very rare. Part of your issue is that he is 3. There is a terrible 3's. Consult a few books. Even super nanny has good ideas but you have to stick to your punishment and never waver. Half the issue will be you guys and being consistent.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• I would not spank him, he only does what he hears and sees around him.

Where does he spend his days to be able to learn bad words and not have any discipline?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2013