My son is out of control....

I adopted my son when he was one years old and now he is three years old and he is out of control, using bad words (words that are not used in the house) fighting his sister, talking back.. Is spankings/whooppngs a good discipline?

luv.My.JK

Asked by luv.My.JK at 11:50 PM on Apr. 27, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You have two separate children. Stop expecting him to act just like her. And if he was abused, why are you continuing that cycle?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:04 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• If he's not learning them in the house, where is he learning them? Before you start "whooping" him maybe you could try and change your parenting style? He's 3 years old.....
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 11:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• agree with everyone else. HE is not going to be the same as your step child because 1: no two children are alike 2; he came from a home of abuse you don't know how horrible it was. 3: his mother may have been on alcohol or drugs while pregnant which could have affected his brain and lead to some issues especially with behavior.

Why would you want to hit a child that has already been through abuse?? Do you not think it would terrify him?? Even at such a young age he could still have PTSD. and behavior problems stemming from the abuse itself.

YOU need to get some help from either the agency(counseling parenting classes etc.) or as your son's doctor for some referrals. This is not his fault he is 3 and no 3 year old has complete control over their emotions and actions
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:13 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• He came out of an abusive situation. Corporal punishment is the last thing he needs. Again you might need to get some help in order to learn how best to help a child that came out of his situation.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:12 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• No
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:52 PM on Apr. 27, 2013

• Maybe the structure/environment routine is just not right for him. Change things up, not all kids need the same thing. Try using the positive reinforcement and reward the GOOD behavior. And you are not "bribing them" like many of the moms I know. My dd is 4 and she got pretty bad there for a while! ANd try not tell him him "no" so much. God knows I was guilty of doing that to my daughter. And I think a mom here told me to "pick my battles". And when I started doing that, things got real easy after that.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:27 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• Sorry I meant to say instead of this........And you are not "bribing them" like many of the moms I know......I meant "And you are not "bribing them" like many of the moms think I do"
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:32 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• No Spanking! Go to the Library & get the book "1 2 3 Magic", how to disciple without spanking.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:34 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• Is spankings/whooppngs a good discipline? No, don't take the easy way out, find out what's going on.

He wouldn't know the bad words unless he heard them from someone start with finding out where he is hearing these things. I would take him to a professional, don't underestimate how past abuse could be still effecting him today. Also if he was exposed to drugs or alcohol in the womb this could also be having long lasting effects on him.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• I would not spank him, he only does what he hears and sees around him.

Where does he spend his days to be able to learn bad words and not have any discipline?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2013