How far in advance of traveling do you pack?

travelI'm going on a trip and want to pack now but the trip isn't for another seven weeks! I bought the travel size toiletries and a new bathing suit and want to just go ahead and pack but afraid if I do I'll change my mind and have to do it all over again later. When you do pack for a vacation?

Asked by admckenzie at 12:03 AM on Apr. 28, 2013 in Travel

• This is the voice of experience here - if you pack more than a couple of days ahead you forget what you put in your luggage and you'll end off taking everything out the night before and repacking to make sure that you haven't forgotten anything :)
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:54 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• It depends on how long I will be gone and where I am going (and how many I have to pack for) but about 3 days in advance.
    I make lists of everything I need to pack. If you have all the toiletries you want to take there is nothing saying you can't pop those in the suitcase so they do not get misplaced.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:10 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• If I packed seven weeks in advance of a trip, I'd probably forget what I put in the suitcase by the time I finally got to my destination.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:15 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• LOL there's an echo in here. I just asked the same thing this morning HERE. Where are you going?

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:06 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• I usually start preparing weeks ahead of time, but actually sticking things in a suitcase...? The night before.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:18 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• I start a week out and make my packing list 3 weeks out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• I start getting things ready a day or two before hand. I pack the night before, and often then repack while taking half the stuff out.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:24 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• Night before or day of.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:58 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• About 3 hours before I leave.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:22 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• My oldest daughter is making the travel plans. She and her family are going to a theme park in Ohio. I have no desire to do that so will fly from FL to NY to go to Niagra Falls with them after they leave Ohio. Then we'll drive back to her home in Indiana. She says 2 weeks later we'll take a train to Chicago and back. She didn't tell me when I can come home. I'm sure she and my other dd will need a sitter for their kids this summer. Truthfully, I'm not sure what all to take. I don't want to pay for checked luggage so have to cram it all in a carry on.

Comment by admckenzie (original poster) at 2:06 AM on Apr. 28, 2013