Bit of a dilemma.

I have a bit of a dilemma.

We are currently in the process of moving from one state to another(only 2 hrs away). My husband has gone ahead to get everything ready and settled...been gone 10 days now.

My son(5) and I have stayed behind with my mother because I thought it would be best for him to finish school(just pre-K) as he at times has trouble with change. Well he is having some trouble with change, the fact that daddy isn't here(he had to go ahead for work).

Don't know if it would be best to finish school which is only a month or just go ahead and move now. I don't really want to pay for a month and then continue to have problems and leave and waste money. He loves his school but he has been having some trouble since daddy isn't home. He seems to be ok on an overall basis but still has some trouble(whiny and clingy etc. Completely understandable).

Don't know what I should do...stay or go head and move. I know he is then going to miss school and friends when we move before everyone else leaves school too.

What do you think???

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 1:24 AM on Apr. 28, 2013 in General Parenting

• it's just pre-K.... I'd go if it were me!! He's not going to see those kids again anyways. I say being together as a family is more important. He knows the change is coming... just rip the band aid off fast instead of slow and be done with it. Good luck either way!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:56 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• Thanks Crafty!!

I think you are right...just needed to hear it from someone else I guess.
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 1:59 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• I agree with Crafty, plus he'll have extra time to meet new friends. At his age they're pretty resilient and having his daddy around to, he'll soon forget his friends at school.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 2:15 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• I was going to say stick out the year- but if it isn't even actually school (just PRE-K)
    then I'd go ahead and go
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:14 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• Does not finishing pre-K prevent him from going to kindergarten?   If not, just move.  Most kids have some issues about change.  It's normal behavior.

Answer by louise2 at 8:15 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• I agree with others unless it affects his ability to continue to the next grade. Can you spend weekends with Dad? Also might just ask your little guy what he thinks. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 9:30 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• I would lean toward just moving, if Dad has a place for you all to go. Your son will make new friends, especially if you put him in pre-K for a few weeks now so he isn't the new kid anymore in the fall, since he's at least met a few others and they've seen him. Either way, clinginess and whining are normal and bound to happen.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:11 AM on Apr. 28, 2013

• You'll probably all be happier when you are together. Seems like staying put isn't doing the job of keeping him happy anyway. GL
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 1:08 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• I would just go. It would be different if it was a higher grade, but with pre-k, I wouldn't worry about it. It would benefit you all more if you were together as a family. When my oldest was in pre-k, we moved in the middle of the year and my son was out of school for two months. It wasn't a problem.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:49 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• I wouldnt have even asked....I would have been gone. Kids are more resilient then you think.
    Fairymom32

Answer by Fairymom32 at 1:22 AM on Apr. 29, 2013