Porn introduced to children by father?

My oldest son (15) has been in counseling for years (since he was 8). In the last 6 months we have had problems with him viewing porn and downloading it. ( I know curiosity is normal at this age but allowing a child to view porn is wrong) At he counseling session last night it came out that his dad is where he first learned of porn. He said that his dad showed his younger brother (14, 13 at the time of incident) porn on the computer. He then said he saw it many times on the computer when he would open it from sleep mode. He also said he found porn videos at this dads house in the cabinet where he keeps his computer paper. I am so hurt that their dad would show them this stuff. I can no longer allow them to go over there. The counseler also said that she would have to report this. Can anyone tell me what to expect? My son is upset and questioning his move I assured him he did the right thing and was and would not be in trouble

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• sounds like you have a strong level headed young man there that he was able to tell someone this good for him
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:59 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• If shes reporting it then cps will be involved. They will go and talk to your sons either at school or call you to set up a time to talk to them alone, and then theyll want to talk to you alone as well. Theyll also go to dads house and talk to dad. The cps worker will make a safety plan and in this case itll likely include supervising the children, not allowing them to view pornography, not viewing it in their presence, keeping it put away and things like that. Just be polite, dress nice, make sure the house is spic and span and dont overreact. CPS can be a double edge sword and the longer they can keep a case open they will and theyll try and find info on BOTH parents. So just put your best foot forward, be honest and hope it works out.

Answer by gemgem at 8:10 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• wow their father should be ashamed of himself. i hope they can work out their problem to porn. sounds like the father has an addiction to it as well. could cps ask him to get therapy for it as well. i would at least ask so that the father can learn to be an example and show responsibility for his part. this could turn out to be a positive thing in teh long run. the problem should get fixed now and your kids can learn that porn is wrong and that sometimes adults have issues too.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:10 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• The best thing for your sons is that their father handles himself responsibily. It is not illigal to view porn, but it is negligent to leave it lying around where kids can view it.

Don't make your sons feel bad about being curious, their feelings are normal. But they should know that there is a responsible way of handling themselves, and this is not it.

good luck;

angie blackwell, the parenting coach
    familycoach4U

Answer by familycoach4U at 3:49 AM on Feb. 20, 2009