Caught my boss snooping and taking from my desk

I caught my boss snooping through my desk. The whole place has been in a deficit recently.

I know that the smart decision is to find another job. But in this economy, jobs are too hard to find. I will be looking for a second job for emergency money. So I can't quit immediately.

How can I communicate that even though she's my boss, it's kosher to ask first to avoid confusion, when she takes the title of "boss" too far?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would just say something like I saw you around my desk and I dont mind you taking things but ask me first otherwise I think someone stole something from me.

Answer by gemgem at 8:15 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Ask them if there's anything in particular they were looking for and if you can help them with it, and see what they say, depending on their answer handle it from there.
    HNK11

Answer by HNK11 at 8:19 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I wouldn't have a problem with my boss being in my desk. My company makes it VERY clear, everything here (with the exception of my personal photos and desk trinkets) belong to the COMPANY, and so they would side with theboss in this case I think. My job may be different, I deal with highly confidential, secretive information, which belings to not only my company but also MANY other companie's information.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• If she took something or obviously moved something, you could play dumb and go to her and say, "Such and such is missing from my desk." or "Such and such was moved. I'm concerned someone is stealing in the office." That will either let her know that you're onto it and get her to stop or get her to admit she did it, and then you can just ask her to ask first next time so you don't think someone is stealing stuff.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:34 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Was she taking work related items, like a report, etc or was it something that belonged to you?
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 9:34 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• In our business' desks are company property. Employees are instructed to leave personal items other than photos or inexpensive knick knacks at home or in their locker. We do not have locks on the desks other than on file cabinets. I have a key to all file cabinets so if I need something I can get it. Unless she took something you personally bought I don't see what they big deal is.
    Anonymous

• Tell him you saw him,and what is he looking for? Ask him not to do that!
    Anonymous