Is there a such thing as Grandparents right?

This is the scenario my granddaughter is 3yo...her Dad is my son but basically it looks like my son do not have any say so...I ask for my granddaughter to come over every weekend sometimes she does comes most weekends she do not because I am a working Grandma..She never spends the night at my house because her mom say she will keep me up all night she will not go to sleep...I used to buy my granddaughter everything under the sun not anymore I realized her mom is so ungrateful...I feel so bad I really love my Granddaughter...My question is I WILL LIKE TO SEE MY GRANDDAUGHTER EVERY WEEKEND CAN I SEEK THE LEGAL WAY LET ME KNOW THANKS

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Apr. 28, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Grandparents do have rights to some extent. You'll have to ask a lawyer on how they apply.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:17 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• So, because your granddaughter's mom is "ungrateful", you don't buy your granddaughter anything now? You sound very vindictive and controlling. Maybe there is a reason she doesn't want you to see your granddaughter.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:22 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• I have to comment again, because this really irks me. How often do you currently see your granddaughter? If it's one or two times a month, then you have nothing to complain about. You wanting demanding to see her very weekend is absurd. It's one thing to want to see her every weekend but they have a life too! Do you really think that they should be going from grandparent's to grandparent's house all weekend long that way no one gets their panties in a wad and threatens to take them to court? If you really want to see your granddaughter, make an effort. Offer to do dinner when night during the week. Offer to take her the park for a few hours on a Saturday. But please be realistic about it.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• NO. You cannot go to court and get "visitation" with your grand-daughter. Perhaps you should try to go over to HER house if you want to see her and make amends with her parents rather than simply make demands of them.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:18 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• I completely agree with JeremysMom!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 6:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• No. Unless the parents are unfit, they are responsible for their children and choose who their children should be around.
    My parents are not allowed to see my children even with me, and I would never leave my kids at their house.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:19 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• You're withholding from your granddaughter because of her mother.....that's really sad OP! Really sad!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 6:27 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• No, you don't have a legal right to see your Granddaughter every weekend. In some states grandparents do have rights, but I don't see a court siding with you when you do see your granddaughter, even if it isn't as often as you like.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:35 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:23 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• Depends on you state..some states grandparents can sue for visitation most states they don't have any rights.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:17 PM on Apr. 28, 2013