Are all children with brittle bone disease smaller than their peers? do they have a typical life expectancy?

idareyou

Asked by idareyou at 7:20 PM on Apr. 28, 2013 in Kids' Health

• I'm not an expert but I really think this disease has a range of severity with several different types or classifications. The prognosis would depend on the type the child has.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• RyansMom001 is correct there are different types and severities. My bf has a dd with the disease. She has a really severe type. Actually it's called infantile hypophosphatasia. She is wheel chair bound...well she can scoot around and whatnot but can't walk. She has made it way longer than they thought. She is I believe 12 now but is the size of most kindergarteners. Her mind frame is that of 7-8yr old kids. So yeah she is 12 but her son however only made it until 6 months old so yeah ya never really know I don't think. Only the 2 out of her 5 were born with it.
    lacyd75

Answer by lacyd75 at 8:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• Hmm, I had no idea. We bumped into on of my DH's old classmates today and her eldest has it- she's 12 and the size of a 5-6 year old but she's fine otherwise so I was just curious.
    idareyou

Comment by idareyou (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• DS has twins in his class with it, I guess its not as bad as some, as they are big for their age, and walk fine. They are limited to activities and one is in a wheelchair only when it rains or is snowy/icy out as a safety measure.
    Anonymous