Did you add rice cereal in your baby's bottle - and if so how old were they and did it help them sleep longer?

We gave our first baby rice cereal in his bottle (not sure how old he was but it was before he ate cereal with a spoon) and he started sleeping through the night and he has always been a perfectly healthy boy - actually under weight for his height even now at age 5. We now have another baby but I am not sure when to try the cereal in bottle??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Apr. 28, 2013 in General Parenting

• I haven't I thought it wasn't good for them??

My son was tiny and early(only 3 weeks by his due date) but my doc never suggested that. We did keep him on formula for longer(till 18mths) and he still at 5 drinks pedisure for extra nutrition..but he is still small weight wise for his age(though he is very tall).
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:22 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• I started doing that when a regular bottle wasn't enough any more to fill them up.

Answer by louise2 at 9:22 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• I never added cereal to DS's bottles. DD was breastfed.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:24 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• I started my baby on rice cereal with a spoon when she was about five and a half months old, and the bottle--half breastmilk and half formula--wasn't enough to soothe her anymore. I never added cereal to the bottle, but I know my mom did it with all of us kids, earlier and earlier with each one. I don't think the pediatrician recommended actually putting the cereal in the bottle, but I can't remember why.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• Never. It's a choking hazard and I wasn't willing to risk it. All 5 of my kids slept through the night (8 hours) by 2 months without cereal.

Answer by missanc at 9:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• my kids were all breast fed at night until they were 5 months. when i started giving them formula at night the dr said it would be ok to put some rice in the bottle.. DD and DS1 didnt sleep through the night but DS2 does. A lot of Dr.s say dont put rice in the bottle. like Ballad, i dont know why. I dont listen to everything the Dr.s say If they would have told me not to i prob. would have anyway. My children are fine.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 9:34 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• It is not advised but the American college of Pediatrics.
    It is considered a choking hazard.

Mine slept fine through the night without adding crap to his bottle. My DD on the other hand din not sleep for the first three years, through the night, that is.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:38 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• My babies were both breastfed. They never got bottles. The never got cereal either. It doesn't really have any nutritional value. If you do give it to a baby, it should be with a spoon, not in a bottle.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• Never did. They get into a routine eventually. Besides being a chocking hazard, a newborns digestive system isn't ready to handle it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• I added it to my granddaughters bottle who we are raising. I'll admit it that at 3 1/2 months I was desperate for some sleep. It was only about a teaspoon but it really seemed to help. I don't think I'd have done it earlier then that. She finally started sleeping most of the night and I was able to get 4 - 5 hours of sleep at a time. She still doesn't seem to need a lot of sleep and she's almost 5. I think she could handle getting 6-7 hours and be just fine.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:49 PM on Apr. 28, 2013