32 weeks pregnant with horrible leg cramps

i started noticing about a week ago wakeing up at night with charley horses and my legs being tired and a little sore. Now they hurt all day long my calves and thighs I feel like a ran a marathon or like the 3rd day after of heavy workout. When i lay down stadning or sleeping they feel almost numb. They are swollen my ankles maybe a tiny bit but nothing bad . Im super swollen "down there" but figured thats just the all the extra blood. Anyone else have cronic leg pain what helped?

Cherriemama831

Asked by Cherriemama831 at 9:49 PM on Apr. 28, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Talk with your doctor first.

That said;

I now potassium, water and magnesium help but you should always check with your doctor before taking anything.

Try eating a banana or two and drinking some water.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:55 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• I'm placing my vote for bananas and water tonight. Call your doctor in the morning.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 10:04 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• Try some gatorade
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:06 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• Cramping is usually caused by lack of sodium, potassium, calcium and iron. Sometimes magnesium. Your muscles work on the sodium potassium pump system, calcium is used to facilitate the the movement of those minerals in and out of the pumps. Iron is what your blood needs to transport oxygen to your muscles. If you are short on one of those minerals you will experience cramping. Magnesium figures in there but I forget why.

So, since sodium isn't usually an issues try loading up on the others I have mentioned - do so via your diet if you can. Stay hydrated as dehydration can also cause cramping. Always check with in with your doc if you are having issues that are out of the ordinary!!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• i had blood work done a couple weeks ago came back a tiny bit anemic but ive been really good about taking my iron twice a day. I get heartburn to and take 2-3 tums a day maybe 4 times a week depending. Ive been having sharp pelvic pain to but yea ill give my doc a call in the morning see what she says.
    Cherriemama831

Comment by Cherriemama831 (original poster) at 10:48 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• Are you getting enough water? Being even slightly dehydrated can cause leg cramps in some people, and it's easy to not get enough water, especially late in pregnancy. There's a gallon of fluid in the bag around your baby that turns over every few hours.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:10 PM on Apr. 28, 2013