I don't know how they did it without the help of electric devices....

I'm staying at my mothers for the week and we had bananas that are going bad. Didn't want to waste so I decided to make a banana cake........except my mother has no mixer. Tried using one of her old crank ones but they kept getting caught up..so I just used a fork.

That was the easy part...I had to whip egg whites till stiff......I swear my arm will fall off lol

I did it but makes you realize how easy we have it. My grandmother and all the other women of the past must have been buff!!

lol What is the toughest baking/cooking task you have done without "modern conveniences"?

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 11:27 PM on Apr. 28, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I have churned butter before and have made homemade ice cream without an ice cream maker. I have also done homemade bread. Its really not that hard but you have to love doing it. I think sometimes all these modern day conviences get in the way.
    Fairymom32

Answer by Fairymom32 at 12:22 AM on Apr. 29, 2013

• There's a cake I make at Thanksgiving. I always wait til the last minute, so it's usually midnight the night before by the time the butter is soft and the eggs warmed up to room temp. Inevitably, I do the egg whites by hand, simply because I am too damn tired to transfer what's already in the mixer to something else so I can use it for the egg whites. A few minutes of hard labor vs washing and rewashing extra stuff and making sure there's not a shred of anything that will screw up the egg whites, hand mixing wins.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:56 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• I made a traditional Yule log cake from scratch 2 Christmases ago, & my beater died on me. Darn good cake anyway, though. I always loved watching my great grandma cook, she didn't use modern appliances or boxed stuff, ever.
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• I could deal with the hand mixing. Been there, done that. It's the open flames I couldn't handle. How would you know what temperature your oven was, or how long to bake something, no thanks.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:57 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• Dang, NP. That sounds like procrastination isn't working for you, there. What kind of cake?
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 11:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• Ha! I've never even made a cake without a box mix. I would be totally screwed without modern conveniences.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:32 PM on Apr. 28, 2013

• My grandmother had a phenomenal date candy that she would rarely make around christmas time. She would use a large plastic bowl and a wooden spoon. She would only make it when there were a lot of people around. It was EXHAUSTING stirring that thick, stiff, yummy stuff.

Sadly, that particular recipe went to the grave with her.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:10 AM on Apr. 29, 2013

• My FIL was a chef and he died at the age of 109. He used hand made whisk for beating eggs for cake or pudding. I also use some devices that is used without electricity.
    kity-bity

Answer by kity-bity at 11:05 AM on Apr. 29, 2013

• Try making peaks on egg whites by hand... that's tiring, lol
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:39 AM on Apr. 29, 2013