Episiotamy.... normal vs not normal! (possible TMI)

I just had a baby a week ago and Im bleeding pretty badly from my episiotamy, more so then I am from anywhere else. I have no stitches left and im not fully "healed". It looks to me like stitches should still be in keeping things together. It also stings pretty badly. Are all these things normal... I have been pretty active, probably a lot more then I should have this past week. And am afraid I have overdone it and done this to myself. Should I contact me doctor and have them look at it or do these things sound like normal?

aleigh227

Asked by aleigh227 at 8:41 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would go have it checked, I like to weigh on the side of caution. If something is wrong it can be fixed, if not at least you know.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:47 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• 1st:I'm sorry you're in pain
    2nd:Yes!Yes!Yes!.. I didn't heal right at all when I had my youngest 10 months ago... The doctor said the only way to fix it was to go back into the hospital to resew me... :( but, they could put me on high doses of antibiotics and see if that would help... Two weeks later I was much, much better from the antibiotics... Go into the doctor asap so you can take the better way out and avoid the hospital...
    houstonsucks

Answer by houstonsucks at 8:49 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Oh and I forgot... I did everything when I got home, because mommy always has to do it all... That's what ripped the stiches and caused so much pain... Call someone to take the baby for the day and go sit down til you can get into the doctor...
    houstonsucks

Answer by houstonsucks at 8:51 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• here's a trick..until your healed! Lean forward hands towards the floor when you pee! It will keep it from stinging when you go to the bathroom. Also epson salts when you have a bath. Just make sure the tubs really clean etc. Def get the doc to check for you for sure!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Agreed with anon 7:52. Epson salt is good stuff. It not only keeps things clean, but it is good for pain relief. I've used that stuff many a time!
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 8:54 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Oh mama, ive never had an episiotomy but ive had a couple bad natural tears and they always hurt like hell...so I feel your pain!
    Have you been doing any sitz baths? They help SOOO much! Gets some herbs to put in the water and they will help promote healing, you can find some great ones at www.inhishands.com
    Also, something that really helped me is to use a hair dryer set to low or med. heat to dry my girly parts after a bath or shower, that helps to ensure you get nice and dry but dont have to rub or pat on your sensitive area.

Just take it easy, you need to listen to your body and if it is hurting you more then its trying to tell you to ease up and REST!
    Hope you heal up good soon!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 2:16 PM on Feb. 17, 2009