What's the biggest lesson you learned from your own mother?

Just ran across it paging down the CM site, on the Stir I think, and thought it would make a good question.

My mother made me strong. I wouldn't recommend her abusive methods, but I learned that I can take pretty much anything and never give up.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:22 AM on Apr. 29, 2013 in Relationships

• That it's ok to be yourself, & not to worry about others opinion of you as long as you're doing what you feel in your heart is right. & from her & my daddy, that true love does exist if you're willing to wait & work on it. 26 years together, & they're still like teenagers.
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 12:40 AM on Apr. 29, 2013

• The biggest lesson I learned, was how to not be like her!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:34 AM on Apr. 29, 2013

• Balled, I'm glad you were able to get somthing positve from an abusive situation. My abusive mom pretty much tanked my self esteem. I did learn from her to take responsibility for my mistakes. It always drove me crazy that nothing was ever my moms fault, and she was never wrong.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 1:43 AM on Apr. 29, 2013

• Depend on a man!!!

LMAO!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:35 AM on Apr. 29, 2013

• The biggest lesson I learned was that people will talk about you know matter what and just to ignore them and its okay to be different that's why I love my mom :)
    Shaketa123

Answer by Shaketa123 at 12:51 AM on Apr. 29, 2013

• "Did she teach you how to be a pot-stirrer too gwen? Or did your dad teach you that when he was teaching you about your man parts?" Anon
    Seriously? And did your mom teach you to hold a grudge? And if you wanted to slam on someone, do it anonymously like some chicken shit?

Anyway OP...Just another annoying anon.) My mom taught me to never ever wake a sleeping baby, and if the baby cries even after they been fed, diaper is clean and dry, and they are not sick or running a fever, its ok to let them cry for a little while and it does not make me a bad mom. And last but not least, do NOT worry about the doctor thinking you are an over reactive mommy and you make the "mommy call" and bring the little one in. I know my baby, they do not and do not be afraid of getting a 2nd opinion. Doc are not always right.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:23 AM on Apr. 29, 2013

• "Sleep when your baby sleeps", and the best relationship advice was: "When it's over, you'll know. There won't be any crying, or fighting, you'll just walk away with no regrets."
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:39 AM on Apr. 29, 2013

• That anything worth having you have to fight for it. That nothing in this world is given to you. So I guess she made me strong and made me a hard worker.
    Fairymom32

Answer by Fairymom32 at 12:27 AM on Apr. 29, 2013

• She taught me to go to school , work hard and get a degree so I never have to depend on a man.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 12:33 AM on Apr. 29, 2013

• Did she teach you how to be a pot-stirrer too gwen? Or did your dad teach you that when he was teaching you about your man parts?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Apr. 29, 2013