As a Pre-Diabetic,do you take medicine to stop your possible Diabetes?

I'm pre-Diabetic,I assume,because I'm over weight and not very active.My blood tests have said 114 and at odd times 130.But,I'm on high blood pressure medicine and I'm assuming,along with other internet information that it's making my blood sugars high!So,the doctors disagree with me and there's noone to help me.Would you take Diabetes medincine if you didn't know you had it?

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 8:44 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Health

• For over all health, I would not take meds if I did not need them.. With the blood sugar levels and the high BP, chances are good if you change your lifestyle and loose weight and become more active you will help prevent the many complications that come with diabetes and high BP. It is proven diet and exersice can reduce or eliminate the need for BP meds and prevent diabetes from becoming an issue. I know that is easier said then done but the overall benifits are well worth the effort...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:53 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• The doctors have given me,blood sugar lowwering medicine,the prob I used to suffer from low blood sugar.How do I know It's not lowwering it down further?We'll I can tell by my energy level,whether this pill works.I have taken a half of it and have felt better than the whole thing,but that's like me playing doctor.I think I'm going to take half of it and gradually work my way up to a whole, IF i have Diabetes.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 8:49 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• So you're accepting information from the internet instead of following your doctor's orders?

Well, I guess you can keep going from doctor to doctor until you find one who will agree with your non-medical-degree opinion. My MIL has done it for years and self medicated...and then took herself OFF of her DOCTOR PRESCRIBED anti-depressants.

I do know it is possible to control things (high blood pressure and diabetes) with diet and exercise.

It's your health, you can mess around with it anyway you want. But if you don't get a handle on things, and keep blaming your conditions on other issues...well, I hope you have your will written.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Okay...they gave you medicine to control your blood sugar and what did they say about monitoring it? You should be monitoring your blood sugar levels. You should be informed about what to do when it hits a certain level...high or low.

Either you're not listening to your doctor or your doctor isn't giving you all the info you need.

If you had a history of low sugar, when was that? What physical shape were you in at the time?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• hon my husband is a diabete and no he does not take his
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Feb. 17, 2009