for those of you with PUPPIES

how often do you feed them? we just got one on saturday and i was just keeping food and water out all the time. but everytime she goes out (which is often) the first thing she does when she comes in is eat and drink then she has to go right back out. so i started leaving her water down but putting her food up i feed her three times a day. is that enough?

jodi205

Asked by jodi205 at 8:45 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Morning jodi!
    I have always feed my dog twice a day. I could never leave water or food out all day, she would gorge herself. Cats I have always left it out all day, but not dog. Even if I left the water out, she would need to go out every ten minutes.
    I like Coke, it is a cute name and something your daughter can say easily.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 9:18 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• How old is your puppy? Are you trying to housebreak her? We have a seven month old german shepherd. I feed her three times a day. Once she becomes an adult, I'll feed her twice a day.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 8:49 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I fed my Boxer puppy three times a day (on a set schedule) until he was about 4 1/2 months old, then I went to feeding twice a day (usually 7 AM and 6 PM) and that is what I still do and he is almost 2 now. Feeding on a schedule really is a good idea to help with potty training (you have a better idea of when they need to go out), as well as discouraging picky eating.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:50 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• shes's three months. and with all my other animals i just let the food and water down all day and they ate when they wanted but it seems she is just eating too much so i will have to put her on a schedule i guess. what i am doing is feeding her when i feed the LO breakfast,lunch and dinner.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:52 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I know some people do the free feeding schedule, but I've always fed my pets on a schedule. If you think she's eating too much I would definitely put her on a schedule. If I left food down all day for my shepherd, she would be a little porker, lol!!
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 8:58 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I fed my puppy 3 times a day....until he was about 4 months old...and his vet told me to cut it down to 2 times a day. So he gets a cup in the morning and a cup in the evening. The back of the puppy food bag should have some good tips on it too. Also, my puppy went out every hour on the hour for the first 5 months. He's 6 months old now and can go about 2 hrs during the day...and sleeps all night. Good luck.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:00 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• When we got my puppy(she is 2 now) we had her on a schedule for a little while. She was 6 wks when we got her and by 10 wks she was FULLY housetrained. We also used a crate for this too(help DRAMATICALLY). I fed her about 10 am, 3 pm and at about 730. No water after 830 till about 6 am(when i got up). But now we free feed her. She usually wont eat till about 630 even with food in her bowl all day. GL
    aDIVASmommy

Answer by aDIVASmommy at 9:04 AM on Feb. 17, 2009