Please Explain?

Why would someone choose to have children if they knew the only way they could afford to feed their child is with Food Stamps?
As a tax paying American, who funds foodstamps, I would like to know-Where is the personal responsibility?
Is foodstamps an incentive to have children? Do some people feel that they do not need to worry about food on the table, becuase the government has taken the burden of responsibility off of them, the individual?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm not sure the OP means all the people who have fallen on hard times and have had to turn to assistance in their time of need. No one can fault or be angry at someone for something that was beyond their control.

What makes me angry, and I think the point that the OP was making, is people like my friend. She & her DH can barely afford to feed themselves. She is working seasonal jobs if she is employed. However, she talks about wanting a baby and feels that is will be okay for her to go on Public assistance so she can have a baby and be a SAHM. This isn't a case of failed BC like Friday mentioned but preplanning. This is what and who make me angry.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Well to fund welfare programs it costs each individual tax payer 9 cents a person. So youre really not paying an aweful lot for it. I have had to be on them when my husband and myself seperated and he took everything and left me and the kids with nothing. The program is something out there for people who need help. Are you saying that people need to starve or the kids should starve if they find themselves in need? Its there for a reason and yes some people will take advantage of the system. When you see them doing so, report them. Its that simple.

Answer by gemgem at 8:50 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Except for people in emergency situations,

They live like their parents taught them to.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 8:52 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Its one thing if something happens in you life and you can not help it. But tohave children because you know the state will support them is wrong and abuse of the system. I understand things happen.....like seperation or divorce or loss of job but if you cant afford them you should wait until you can not expect others to take care of them.
    lovemlotz

Answer by lovemlotz at 8:55 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I think you all need to get it together. Food stamps existed before you were probably born and not everyone on them abuses them and not everyone on them came from a family who had them too. And even if they did what are you doing to help change that? Do you volunteer? Do you offer any services to help people get out of the life they were raised into? If not then you have no right to complain.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Here we go again....eye rolling I agree but there is not much you can do right just go with it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• eye rollingand according to mustbegrace every child will act in the way that their parents taught them...none of them will stray.

bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 9:13 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• anon 8:56 Get your point but it is the parents responsibility to teach their children responsibility and personal accountability.Those who do this have neither.Hopefully some learn along the way and make changes in their attitudes and lives.Problem being it is becomming too easy to just sit back and collect.We need reform instead of throwing more to them.

I am not speaking about those who fall on a hard time and need it and they do it temp.Nor the ones who are just incapable of doing for themselves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I was raised in an upper middle class family. A few years ago, after a natural disaster destroyed my home and all my possessions, I had to apply for foodstamps. So what? There were no jobs available to anyone at the time. Now, I'm back to leading a middle class lifestyle, without public assistance.
    I really don't get the point that children will grow up only as taught by their parents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I wish people would stop asking this question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Feb. 17, 2009