How do I get my 17 year old type 1 Diabetic son to engage in school and sports? He avoided school so much last year, we took him out and are doing online high school. He does the bare minimum to get by. He will not go to counseling. We try taking things away but he gets very manipulative. Have talked to other type 1 parents but seems like their kids adjust better. Won't go on pump or CGM and just wants to coast through life.

peguar

Asked by peguar at 11:11 AM on Apr. 29, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• I would insist he go to counseling if you think he's suffering from depression.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:18 AM on Apr. 29, 2013

• My grandfather died of complications due to Type 1 diabetes. He was an adult when diagnosed. He refused to follow a diet, he refused to take insulin (before pumps) shots when he needed them, he made life HELL for my grandmother. He died when I was in 8th grade. My dad and I lived with them until I was 10.

I remember:
    seeing him throw plastic glasses across the room at my grandmother's head in a sugar low
    seeing him wandering through a mall parking lot, delirious, in a sugar low
    watching his eyes roll up into his head and bang his head on the corner of the table as he passed out from a sugar low

Life with an insulin-dependent diabetic that won't do what they need to do to take care of them is HELL on the rest of the family.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:40 AM on Apr. 29, 2013

• Rosehawk.. I'm not sure if you thought you were being helpful by telling this story.. but it wasn't.. I'm sorry you're grandfather died of complications of type 1 diabetes.. but I never said my son did not manage his diabetes.. in fact he manages it quite well. He just doesn't want to use the pump which in some cases, makes it easier to manage.. My question was about school and motivating him to try to new things.. I mentioned the diabetes because I thought that maybe some parents of type 1 diabetic kids would be able to relate.. maybe you don't understand this.. but parents of type 1 kids don't need people telling them about their friends or relatives who died or had horrible complications from this disease.. we need encouragement and to hear about kids/adults who are thriving in spite of having type 1. Ie. Jay Cutler, Nic Jonas, other athletes/etc..
    peguar

Comment by peguar (original poster) at 12:02 PM on Apr. 29, 2013