Update: blood draw/nerve damage

I went to see the doc this morning. I have nerve damage. He says he has high hopes that it should correct itself. We talked about physical therapy and decided to wait a few weeks to see if there is any improvement. If it gets worse or there is no improvement, we will do physical therapy and medication.

Really, though? Why me? Why now? I know there are far worse things, but geeeeeeze! C'mon!

Kword

Asked by Kword at 12:15 PM on Apr. 29, 2013 in Health

• Here's a laugh for you, Kword: when I was about 19-20, I worked in a factory type environment and ended up getting stabbed in my thumb with a tool similar to a dental pick. It went a good half inch into my thumb, lots of bleeding and hurt like hell. My employer sent me to the dr, of course, and since the tool was metal, they asked me when I'd had my last tetanus shot. I said I couldn't remember, so they said I needed one. I said okay, they asked which arm I wanted it in. Never having had one that I could recall, I figured it'd be like any other shot, a little sting and done. So I figured, since my right hand hurt from my thumb, I told them to do my left arm. That thing hurt like a mother! My arm was so sore immediately, and through the next day, that I couldn't move my arm. So between my arm and my thumb, I had no useable hands and had to have my mother come over, cook me dinner and feed me. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:44 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• I'm sorry. I hope it does get better. hang in there!
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:16 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• That really sucks. Whether it does it on its own or you get physical therapy, I do hope it gets better for you.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:17 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• No good deed goes unpunished. I'm sorry you are going through this. I hope it self corrects soon so you can avoid all of the extra work and medications.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:17 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• I saw your post the other day. So, they hit a nerve while taking the blood? Actually that's something that is always a possibility, especially if you've ever had an ABG done. As Respiratory Therapists, ABG's are something that they train you for before they ever let you practice. One wrong move and viola, nerve damage to the patient. Are you thinking of suing for medical costs?? Or did you sign a release form of some kind?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:17 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• That same thing happened to my husband. His arm hurt for a couple of years afterward. Hope that you start feeling better much quicker than that!!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• That just sucks balls, especially since you were trying to do something good. I hope it goes away on its own.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• Yes there are worse things but it is a bummer.
    I would call the place you gave blood and tell them what happened so that maybe they can tell their nurses that one someone tells you it is hurting them to stop.
    I hope you have a swift recovery
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• I learned from that to always ask if a shot was going to hurt. And to not believe them if they say no.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:45 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• What a bummer! I had no idea you could get harmed from donating blood. I hope the damage corrects itself soon.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:58 PM on Apr. 29, 2013