Michigan mother wants to ban Anne Frank because it's "pornographic"

Imagine my shock when I clicked the link on Twitter and it did NOT go to The Onion...

http://gawker.com/mother-wants-pornographic-diary-of-anne-frank-pulled-484400273

Full disclosure - I have not read the unedited version of the diary that wasn't published until after her father died.  Even still, based on the section quoted in the article, that's no more graphic than the basic biology that should also be in the 7th grader's science textbook.

Is the Diary of Anne Frank too racy for precious little jr high snowflakes?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh good lord! I don't think I have a *facepalm* big enough for this twit.

Yes, let's ban history and everything that happened. Give it a pretty white wash or maybe a lovely rose tint!!

Doesn't the government do that enough?

Stupid bitch needs to STFU.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:18 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• Sounds like I am not the only girl who thought urine came from the clitoris!!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• Sounds like the same people who would have their kids remove from the sex ed classes...and then wonder why they are pregnant at 15...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• if Anne Frank is pornographic to this lady, what is Romeo and Juliet (also required reading material) ?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• oh and... I think a Picard facepalm cookie is in order!

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:47 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• what is Romeo and Juliet (also required reading material) ?

But she doesn't understand Romeo and Juliet, so that doesn't count. Wonder how she'd feel about Hamlet if anyone explained what a "nunnery" actually is to her.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• yes...lets continue to show graphic violent pictures on the news, plaster Kim Tardashians skanky butt all over every magazine, and idolize moronic Teen Moms, but heaven forbid girls learn about their bodies from one of the greatest and most moving texts ever published.

i read the Catcher in the Rye and 1984 in 9th grade and those books are FAR more "pornographic" than a girl writing about her anatomy. i barely remember this part of the book...it was the lesbian thoughts part that stuck with me (and only cause she was so honest).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:55 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• The quote LostSoul posted sort of baffled me. I don't remember that being in the book and can't figure out for the life of me how Anne knew all that stuff anyway. I know I may sound ignorant but if the female genitals are covered with hair then how would she know it's red down there? How did she know about the clitoris? I didn't know about that until I was grown. I masturbated since age 5 but never even thought to look at anything. My neck isn't that long to look down there and lighting wasn't that great so a mirror wouldn't have helped. I'm just confused. However, it brings to mind the theory that Anne's dad wrote the book. It sounds more like something a grown man would have observed (with Anne's mom not Anne) and he might think that a young girl would explore her body. Now I have to go check out the book at the library and reread it!

Answer by admckenzie at 1:58 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• My daughter read that book when she was in 4th grade. Good grief these women are embarrassing. Now they will get the AFA and One Million Moms behind it.

Ughhh. Fuck.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:59 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• p.s. that would have to be one heck of a clitoris for her to think she urinates out of it

Answer by admckenzie at 2:01 PM on Apr. 29, 2013