Michigan mother wants to ban Anne Frank because it's "pornographic"

Imagine my shock when I clicked the link on Twitter and it did NOT go to The Onion...

http://gawker.com/mother-wants-pornographic-diary-of-anne-frank-pulled-484400273

Full disclosure - I have not read the unedited version of the diary that wasn't published until after her father died.  Even still, based on the section quoted in the article, that's no more graphic than the basic biology that should also be in the 7th grader's science textbook.

Is the Diary of Anne Frank too racy for precious little jr high snowflakes?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I can see a room full of 12 year olds reading this out loud and being very uncomfortable. A lot of what the kids read in middle school is complete crap focused on suicide, runaways, rape, etc. Too much shock value. Use the older version. If the kids want to read the new edition on their own that is fine. Pornographic isn't the right word, but it could create a hostile environment. bullying, harassment, etc. Not a responsible choice by the teachers/administrators.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:28 PM on May. 1, 2013

• I can see a room full of 12 year olds reading this out loud

Where are these schools where 6th and 7th graders still sit around reading aloud like they did in 1st grade? When it's a play, sure, but reading for a book report - they do that on their own time.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:55 PM on May. 1, 2013