Michigan mother wants to ban Anne Frank because it's "pornographic"

Imagine my shock when I clicked the link on Twitter and it did NOT go to The Onion...

http://gawker.com/mother-wants-pornographic-diary-of-anne-frank-pulled-484400273

Full disclosure - I have not read the unedited version of the diary that wasn't published until after her father died.  Even still, based on the section quoted in the article, that's no more graphic than the basic biology that should also be in the 7th grader's science textbook.

Is the Diary of Anne Frank too racy for precious little jr high snowflakes?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• That's ridiculous!

It's just like all those bible thumpers that wanted to ban the Judy Blume books.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:47 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• I LOVED that book while growing up. I swear I have read it dozens of times and I don't see what's so wrong with it. What the hell is wrong with parents now a days? They want to shied everything from their kids.

Enders Game was banned in the school district I went too. My English teacher kind of broke the rule and read it to the glass while I was in the 11th grade.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• I admit I don't recall all the details of the book, but I do know I read in in 6th or 7th grade, and I don't recall it being graphic that way. I mean, if someone wants to complain, seems to me the more horrific thing to complain about would be the millions of Jewish people who died - and in my school, anyway, we learned about that before we read the diary.

I guess people just aren't happy unless they have something making them miserable.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• I love that book.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:50 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• From what I remember, an it's been a very long time since I read it, the diary has a few descriptions of kissing, but nothing that I would have considered even remotely pornographic. And many of the precious little junior high snowflakes probably already know everything that's in that book about kissing anyway.

Besides, my stepson, who isn't much into reading, devoured the diary and actually cried at the end, so I think it's a very powerful story for kids of that age and adults as well.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:50 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• Here's what that mom has a problem with

Until I was eleven or twelve, I didn't realize there was a second set of labia on the inside, since you couldn't see them. What's even funnier is that I thought urine came out of the clitoris…When you're standing up, all you see from the front is hair. Between your legs there are two soft, cushiony things, also covered with hair, which press together when you're standing, so you can't see what's inside. They separate when you sit down and they're very red and quite fleshy on the inside. In the upper part, between the outer labia, there's a fold of skin that, on second thought, looks like a kind of blister. That's the clitoris.

LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:51 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• Oh nooo.. Our snowflakes are having sex and giving blow jobs in 6th grade but they're to delicate to read about their own bodies. Whatever.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 12:53 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• Not in my book. The same people will park their kids in front of Twilight and other shows that involve sight and sound. HMMMMM.
    Maybe the real thing we want suppressed is the things that took place under Hitler.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:11 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• that we should have been she
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:13 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• I've read The Diary of Anne Frank many times. The first time was in middle school. I see nothing wrong with it.
    Good lord, look at what kids are doing, seeing and reading now! No comparison!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:15 PM on Apr. 29, 2013