Nervous about my sons dentist appt. Getting laughing gas for the first time...

My son HATES the dentist. Just walking into the waiting room he always starts to cry. I keep my calm though, and twll him he'll be okay. His last visit was getting a tooth pulled and it was kind of a bad experience for him. This time hes only getting a filling, but I'm taking precautionary measures and asked for laughing gas. I'm just a little nervous though. Is it possible to have a bad reaction to it? What are your experiences with it and how long do the effects last?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It wasn't recent, but I had laughing gas multiple times as a child (I had a lot of dental work!). I never had any side effects, but the dentist should have given you some information on it. If they didn't, I would call and ask.

Answer by missanc at 2:00 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• A reaction is always possible but if your son is healthy otherwise chances are slim. My son had "sleepy juice" at the dentist for a filling (essentially laughing gas, but in liquid form) and it was very hard to seem him all loopy. I cried. BUT he did just fine and it wore off about an hour later (about 30 minutes after the work was finished). No bad reactions. And yes the doctor should provide you with information on what to do and things to look out for.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:23 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• I never had laughing gas as a child, but I had it a few months ago when I got a tooth pulled. It was already wearing off when I left the dentist's office. I felt a little sleepy, but nothing more.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:55 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• I got it when I was a child and was violently sick afterwards.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:55 AM on Apr. 30, 2013

• My son has had it a couple of different times and said he didn't feel different at all. He had no pain or anything after so I guess it was ok! I was nervous the first time he had it, too. Will they let you sit with him? They let me and it eased my worries.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:37 PM on Apr. 30, 2013