Can anyone recommend a good blender for smoothies?

I put ice cubes and frozen (halved) strawberries into my smoothies, so I need something that will crush those easily. Looking to spend $50 or less.

Also, will a food processor work to make smoothies? I saw a Ninja food processor online for $40. I really want a Ninja blender but they're $100!!

maecntpntz219

Asked by maecntpntz219 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I bought a basic Oster blender for 15 bucks on sale at HEB. It crushes the ice and makes great smoothies.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 2:23 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• Hmm. I'm just afraid of blenders that only have the small blades at the bottom. The one I have now (granted it's older) has the bottom blades and I'm constantly having to stick a spoon in there to move everything around when the blade sticks. I want one I can just crush and voila!
    maecntpntz219

Comment by maecntpntz219 (original poster) at 2:25 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• That sort of "voila" machine is called a Vita-mix and it's a bit out of your budget.
    For $50, you'll be spooning the blades and crunching on uncrushed ice and berries... it's just the way it is.
    Sorry I'm not the bearer of good news, but it's the truth!

And, a food processor won't have the power to get through the ice and frozen stuff
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• Lol. Thank you.
    maecntpntz219

Comment by maecntpntz219 (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• I haven't had to stick the spoon into it. I move it around and shake it. It works for me so far. However, reading your question again, I have an ice crusher on my fridge that crushes it finely. So my blender doesn't have to.

I'd check garage sales to find a good deal on one that works better for you.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 3:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• Now that I think about it, it would probably be smarter for me to just use smaller pieces of ice LOL.
    maecntpntz219

Comment by maecntpntz219 (original poster) at 3:15 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• I would save my money and get a Ninja it's great.We also make smoothies daily with no problems.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 4:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• I have a $50 Ninja and a $500 Vitamix. We use the Vitamix most because my husband makes shakes where he throws in all sorts of weird stuff to blend up, and he just HAD to have it. Honestly though, I was pretty happy with the Ninja for everyday use. I think you would be happy with the less expensive Ninja.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:39 PM on Apr. 29, 2013