Update plus question on how you handle invitations

Here was my original post. I apologize for not being able to do the clicky.

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/1333495/Canceling_my_DDs_6th_bday_party_Shes_so_upset?cat_id=&order=&next=1

Well, DH went to his son and talked to him. I'm not sure what was said, but my DD's sister in law was on the phone within the hour with me.

She has another date and insists on planning the party herself. She's made up the menu, decorations etc. Wants to have it at a park instead f my home. That's not what I want at all. I want to plan my own kids bday. I'm love to party plan. It's what I'm known for.

Well, I'm going with the flow. It is a nice gesture, even though I don't want to ave a big BBQ for 50 plus people.

I'm rambling...sorry. Well my question is how to you hand out ( if u even do) invitations to your child's classmates. I planned to send them to school. Her teacher offered to put them in the folders. SIL insists we hand deliver the invitations to her classmates at their homes. I only know 3 or 4 parents. I'm not comfortable pulling up at someone's house I personally don't know.

How would you handle it and or what do you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2013 in General Parenting

• I would mail them at their house...I know a lot of parents do not look through the book bags, and it might misplaced....and the same thing if you hand them out to the kids...they might make it to the parents who ultimately are the ones who will be taking them there.

Answer by older at 2:30 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• I give them to the teacher and she puts them in the folders. That's the way everyone does it at our school.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:39 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• I asked the teacher to put invitations in the folders of my daughter's classmates, but hardly any of them attended her party. So I don't know if the parents didn't see the invitations, or if it was because another little girl was having a birthday party at the same time, which turned out to be true, and the classmates went there instead.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:53 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• With us , If every child is invited, the teacher would allow an announcement of the party and the child could hand each child the invitation or the take one and pass it back method.
    If you just put them in the folder the kids might not even know it is there. Our teachers allow it in the last several minutes before the end of school.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• If I was inviting everyone in the class I send them in to the teacher and she puts them in their folder. But, I also wouldn't be okay with anyone else handling my kids bday party!

Answer by missanc at 3:33 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• I'm not comfortable at all. I wanted to do small appetizers, veggie platters, fruit, etc. I had several cute fun games planned and I want to enjoy the party instead of running back and forth a hundred times from the house to yard. Now I'll be stuck worrying with food safety temps and feeding a huge crowd.

So apparently nobody would drive around and hand deliver them. Its just not the norm to me. I guess I need to take a stand and say no thank you.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:48 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• Frankly, I would get the invitations from SIL, have the teacher put them in the kids' bags, and just not say anything about how they were distributed, because if someone else insists on taking over my party, they get the help I want to give.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:26 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• If she wants to hand deliver the invitations let her. She's the one that will get the odd "are you for real" look and doors shut in her face. That is just totally weird. Also wonderAt our school if you send invitations for some of the class you have to invite the entire class which is a real pain. You don't know if you're planning on 1 or 20 kids showing up. Rest assured that the majority of the kids do look at the invitations and let their parents know. Especially if it's on something really neat looking.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• I would just send them in for the teacher to put in the kids folders. Easiest and best way to get them out. I would find it odd if some stranger rolled up to my house and handed me an invitation to their kids birthday party. I probably wouldn't go either.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:07 PM on Apr. 29, 2013