Does anyone have grant writing or non-profit experience?

I have written two grants. I received one and I am waiting to hear back about the other one. I have been encouraged by my supervisor to get my B.S. in Business Administration and work in the non-profit sector. I think that I would really like to do that. I have been looking for resources on grant writing and came across a 4 day program that will give me a certificate in Grant Writing. I think with my experience, a bachelor's in business, and a certificate in Grant Writing, that may give me a good chance at getting the job that I want to get. However, my concern is the price. It is $800 just for the course, not including meals, gas, and lodging while I am there. I do have a scholarship that I have earned and the $800 can come from that. If you have any experience in grant writing or non-profit work, do you mind taking a look at the course description and telling me if you think it would be worth taking the certificate classes?

http://www.georgiacenter.uga.edu/ppd/courses/grant-writing/certificate-grant-writing

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 5:25 PM on Apr. 29, 2013 in Money & Work

• i wrote some for personal grant for my child getting autism services
    i got one

but i have no experience with business grants

i got resource books from library
    Anonymous

• I have a B.S. in nonprofit organization management and have written a couple of grants. The course looks like it could teach you the basics, but if you want to be a freelance grant writer, you'll basically be building your business on the money you've secured rather than on the certificate. Meaning the places you write for won't care so much about where you got your training as they will about the successful grants you've written. If the course will help you, great. But you'll also want to build a portfolio o your work and letters of recommendation from places you've helped.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:52 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• Ballad, if you don't mind me asking. What do I need in my portfolio? I have been at a school for two years and I have helped them a lot. This year alone, I have received approximately $7,000 in non-monetary donations and a $999 grant. I prefer not to be a freelance grant writer. I would rather work for a non-profit. I would love any advice you could give me.

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 6:00 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• Hello JeremysMom,
    Next week The Grantsmanship Center offers a 4.5 day training in Atlanta hosted by the Red Cross that covers all aspects of writing and winning grant proposals. It covers foundation, corporate and government funders. We've been told this is the best course available--we originated grant training 40 years ago. And we understand that in some cases the tuition fee of $895 is difficult which is why we offer a limited number of half-scholarships. Call our office to see if we can help, if you are interested. Or if you simply have some questions we can help to answer. Ask for me, Cathleen. (800) 421-9512 or you can speak with anyone in the training dept. I'm new to this forum so hope it's OK to give contact info. Look forward to hearing from you. Best wishes.
    Grantsmanship

Answer by Grantsmanship at 4:09 PM on Apr. 30, 2013