Babies and gifts

DD is soon to be married and she is also due to have a baby in September.
She and her stb MIL get along just fine except that she is constantly buying gifts. This is not so bad unless you already have a high chair and rocker and about 2 dozen baby blankets and... and.. and.. she bought them all.
She has a thing about you getting rid of the excess things she has given, even if the kids have outgrown them. DD does not know how to make her stop or at least slow down. She knows MIL is acting out of love but they are running out of room.
Another "problem" is that she wants us moms to throw a babyshower together. Great, rigt? (She is a very nice lady)
Except that she wants to have a joint on for her aughter and mine but hers has already had several kids.
And besides it will be even more STUFF.
Any ideas? Any at all?

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 6:23 PM on Apr. 29, 2013 in Relationships

• The new MIL may actually have a mental problem that makes her shop and shop. I had an aunt like that. Closets full of clothes with the tags still on. My cousin ended up taking everything back and taking away her credit cards.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:43 AM on Apr. 30, 2013

• Diapers....that's one thing that she can't get too much of.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 8:15 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• What about something unique like a personalized book or wall hanging? I've found great customizable gifts at personalcreations.com and ISeeMe.com. One of the nicest gifts I got was a footprint-making kit so I could take the print made by the hospital and frame them. My daughter loves seeing how small her feet were.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2013